Options

Photoshop Elements or CS4??

kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited March 24, 2009 in Finishing School
A friend who is a beginning photographer asked me the difference between Photoshop Elements and CS4. I have CS3, but am not at all familiar with the features of PS Elements, so I can't explain the difference.

She's hoping to become professional, but is just starting out. So would it be better for her to start with Elements and upgrade or just jump in and start learning CS4? What doesn't Elements have that CS3 or 4 offers?
~Kathy
Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
"Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
www.kathleendavenport.com

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    kd2 wrote:
    She's hoping to become professional, but is just starting out.
    For a beginner, though with 'professional' aspirations, is Lightroom another option to consider? ne_nau.gif

This could be possibly augmented with Photoshop at some time much later in the future. nod.gif
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    For a beginner, though with 'professional' aspirations, is Lightroom another option to consider? ne_nau.gif

This could be possibly augmented with Photoshop at some time much later in the future. nod.gif
    I'm with W.W.W. on this one. Take a look at Lightroom. Thirty day trial and lots of help to beginners.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    I believe CS4 has a 30-day trial too. But... that said, for a beginner, CS4 is like driving a Porsche in rush hour traffic-- a bit of overkill. That doesn't mean CS4 isn't a fantastic program, it just means it has so many awesome features it might be a little bit much for basic image editing. Most professional photographers (me included) barely scratch the surface of all the cool stuff in CS4. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+