Options

NYC in January

JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited April 6, 2009 in Journeys
Here's my first post, i'm a newbie to SLRs and Dgrin. Here's a few photo's of my first trip with my D90.
New York is one of our favorite cities to visit. It's always full of energy even in the middle of January in the freezing cold.

Just walking in the streets of New York
490202218_RrZ94-L-3.jpg

Time Square
490201984_FaqUB-L-2.jpg

490201883_he2fL-L-2.jpg

Best Pizza and I guess i'm not the only one that thinks that. This was the line to get into the place in 16 degree weather.
491548526_XVjBA-L-1.jpg

Just off the Brooklyn Bridge.
491549613_WaKjB-L.jpg

I would like to hear any constructive comments on how i can improve.
Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Kinky Friedman

Comments

• Options
    Grampa DougGrampa Doug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Okay, this is a joke, right? If you are really a newbie then I have to ask you "What took you so long". You certainly have an eye for it. I suspect you're going native, without a tripod. That should be your next step.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2009
    thanks grampa doug! I really appreciate it.

I did have a cannon elph I would travel with, but i would push it to the limits of it capabilities. I took a lot of great photos with it, but the DSLR is just another level. It's awesome!

I got the D90 in dec. and had a month to learn the basics plus a bit more. I just have been doing lots of surfing on dgrin and picking up pointers from everybody on here. There's a ton of great photopraphers on here and i just enjoy learning more.
    Jay

Kinky Friedman
  • Options
    DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    nice pics...ive eaten at grimaldi's as well..and it is indeed VERY VERY good pizza.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Nice group of shots!!
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    thanks grampa doug! I really appreciate it.

I did have a cannon elph I would travel with, but i would push it to the limits of it capabilities. I took a lot of great photos with it, but the DSLR is just another level. It's awesome!

I got the D90 in dec. and had a month to learn the basics plus a bit more. I just have been doing lots of surfing on dgrin and picking up pointers from everybody on here. There's a ton of great photopraphers on here and i just enjoy learning more.

Great series of shotsclap.gif

glad to see you posting. thumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    hoyinsiuhoyinsiu Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I think yellow caps are really symbols of NY city. nice shot!
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Liked the first shot the most.
    Must be one good pizza for folks to stand outside like that.
  • Options
    zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Must be one good pizza for folks to stand outside like that.

Grimaldis pizza is some of the best thin crust pizza there is.. pies only, they don't sell by the slice.. About 20 years ago the place was named Patsy's...and opened by one of the nephews of the original Patsy's on 118th & 1st.. family squabbles, litigation, and the name was change to Grimaldis.

Patsy's up on 118th & 1st has amazing pizza..

Lombardis in the village supposed to be the first pizza joint in NYC still makes an awesome coal oven thin crust..

Sorry for the hijack, but I love pizza, and know some of the finest places in NYC
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    First,
    Thanks dion, Grim, dadwtwins,hoyin,and Tee!

Second, Zen,
    Don't worry about hijacking, i think half the fun about a journey is the guilty pleasures of FOOD.
    My wife prefers Lambardi's pizza, but i think Grimaldi's is better. Mmmmm Pizza.
    Jay

Kinky Friedman
  • Options
    Grampa DougGrampa Doug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Ahhhhhh. Pizza, One of the basic food groups. Unfortunately I have been banished to a "Bad Pizza Zone". Do they deliver to Savannah?
  • Options
    hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    You definately have an eye for composition and you did a great job holding that camera steady for longer shutter shots. To me the Time Sq and Brooklyn bridge shots are a lil overexposed. Tripod is definitely a way to go. Try bracketing and HDR photos. thumb.gif
  • Options
    hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    And ohh talking about pizza.. I like Bambino in Seattle. I am not sure if they have it here in NYC but they are thin crust (the way I like it), woodburn, and fresh. :D