Antique Portrait Suggestions...

aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 23, 2009 in People
Ok, a friend asked if I could take a few pic's of the kiddos and the family Antique style, like old vintage items I guess...

Any suggestions or ideas? I have gone to a few stores around here and really didn't see anything...

I sure don't want to spend to much money on this though.. But help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Nikon D90
Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
SB-600 Flash

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Do you mean props? If so, then the "vintage photo" places at fairs etc usually have props like hats, feather boas, vests and bowties for the guys and so on.

However, I would have thought that with digital PP it would be easy to create a vintage look - even in modern clothes - without props. Depends what they want.

LR has a couple of vintage-y presets, and a few people in here seem to be experimenting with textures that give a vintage-y look (in fact, Mike J has posted some interesting shots a few threads down)

One thing to consider, too: "vintage" shots were long shutter speeds, which is why those old photos have that glazed look in the eyes so often - it's hard to hold a pose absolutely still for 20-30 seconds!!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Or you could go with the "Kim Anderson's Yesteryears" look and go to a second hand store, buy an old suit and have the arms and legs rolled up for a boy and adult sized high heels and pearls and a fun old hat for the girl and get a dozen roses or something. A lot of folks just love that stuff. It has been done before, but people really pay for stuff like that. Pretty cheap and fun to do.

Here is a link to some posters of her work.

http://www.postercheckout.com/b/Kim_Anderson/
  • aim&shootaim&shoot Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Thanks for the info... Yea I've been looking for pearls and hats just really haven't been able to find any, guess I will look online...

Nikon D90
    Nikkor VR 18-105mm 3.5-5.6
    Sigma DG 28-300mm 3.5-6.3
    SB-600 Flash