Options

May Day

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited May 19, 2004 in Holy Macro
The May Day Holiday just ended here and I got a few good ones of the people on holiday.

The ubiquitous baby with open pants...

3999874-L.jpg

A run-down telephone...

3999887-L.jpg

Some ladies waiting to perform a dance...

3999890-L.jpg

Eating on the run...

3999868-L.jpg

A man...

3999878-L.jpg

This is an old one but I thought you'd all find it interesting. These boys beg on the streets here. They are maimed at a young age and forced into a life of begging. It's really sad...especially when you see the 40 year olds...

2941292-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2004
    Wow! Why not submit the phone to this week's Fred Miranda WA ("rust"). I think it could win.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Wow! Why not submit the phone to this week's Fred Miranda WA ("rust"). I think it could win.
    Hey Rutt. Thanks. My wife likes that one too. I can't submit to FM because I have a yahoo address. I don't have "real" e-mail. Is there another way to submit that you know of?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I sent the phone and the siblings to Kodak photo of the day.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2004
    bowdown.gif Awesome!

3999887-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2004
    Thanks Sid. The phone was originally yellow but I made it red with curves...
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    Great work Damon.
    Damon... Beautiful work!

The last image of the child is so disturbing... I shudder to ask, "Who maims them?" And fear that your answer might be, "The parents..." I think it is the disturbing nature of the photo, that makes it so "good." By not capturing his face, and through the lighting you chose, you made him a source of enlightenment on the plight of these children, rather than a curiosity.
    The little naked bum just makes me smile. Wonderful color, too. The little arms outstretched for balance...
    And, as an FYI... I think this one would work for "Bright Light." The sunlight on the back wall.
    Kudos, Damon!
    ginette
    3999878-L.jpg
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2004
    The last image of the child is so disturbing... I shudder to ask, "Who maims them?"
    I've heard that crime cartels buy the kids from desperate parents and then force them into begging. It's really sad especially when you see the older ones who are intentionally burned...so disturbing.
    The little naked bum just makes me smile. Wonderful color, too. The little arms outstretched for balance...
    The babies pee and poop everywhere - there are no diapers here, at least they're not popular with the masses yet.
    And, as an FYI... I think this one would work for "Bright Light." The sunlight on the back wall.
    I'll enter it.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    damonff wrote:

The babies pee and poop everywhere - there are no diapers here, at least they're not popular with the masses yet.

I have often wondered at the practice, as I have seen photos of this sort from many parts of the world. Must get rather inconvenient at times, not too overlook hygene issues. Curious-- why diapers or nappies of some sort have not caught on? What does one do when the child needs to, or does deficate in say, a restaurant?
    Still, doen't change the photo. It's great!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2004
    I guess the expense of diapers seems odd to them since they've been doing it this way for 5,000 years. Hard to change.