Bus in the middle of a state forest

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
So my daughter and a friend were geocaching this past sunday, and we came across this old beat up bus in the middle of the forest we were in. I was playing around with processing, so pardon me if it comes out a little over the top. I went with mono/duo because there were no real colors to speak of..everything was dulled out due to age. So instead of shooting for color, I was shooting for light/shadow, contrasts, etc...

3380463589_9450883338_b.jpg

3381293088_9761567a64_b.jpg
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    I'm wishing I took an HDR range of photos, because conditions were perfect for using HDR...but I had a 6 and 13 year old with me, so I doubted they had the patience to sit there while I went about setting up my tripod and take a ton of photos. This place is only 15 min from me, so I may go back around the same time in the late afternoon for the HDR>
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    I'm wishing I took an HDR range of photos, because conditions were perfect for using HDR...but I had a 6 and 13 year old with me, so I doubted they had the patience to sit there while I went about setting up my tripod and take a ton of photos. This place is only 15 min from me, so I may go back around the same time in the late afternoon for the HDR>

This would definitely be worth going back for.

#1 - Great potential but too much shadow for me.

#2 - Love this one. Nice contrast and really like the lines...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    This would definitely be worth going back for.

#1 - Great potential but too much shadow for me.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    I wonder the story behind the bus in the forest..nice shots!
    Courtney
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I agree with the above comments--go back and re-shoot for HDR. I think #1 is too dark. #2 is very nice. Perhaps you could shoot a few other detail shots also.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    i agree! i like the idea of the whole bus shot as done in 1, but it is dark. would like to see more if you go back! repost! thumb.gif i love neat stories that are told with a picture... it almost makes my imagination want to write a story myself on how the bus got there and in that condition.. gets the imagination going!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I wonder the story behind the bus in the forest..nice shots!

Exactly what GoldiLocks said
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    i have the original raw file, so i may play around w/ the processing again, and lighten it up some. the original is not as dark, but was going for dark and moody...but my hand was a little heavy i see. I'm going geocaching again on sunday w/ my daughter, so i'll probably take the photos for hdr then.
    -=Ren B.=-

• lispottlispott Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    The bus reminds me of into the Wild. I like the dark moodiness of the first photo. I just plain like dark photos. I would love to hear the story behind the bus. What is all the HDR talk. I am quite new to this DSLR thing. I take it it is High Definition. ??? L
    Create an image, leave a legacy!

:ps