Options

tern fest?

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in Wildlife
with so many of us west coasters shooting bolsa this is turning into tern fest '05!

here are a few of my humble offerings. the vast majority of my attempts ended up in the OOF graveyard. any tips on how to imrove these shots (besides not cutting the wings off!icon10.gif)?

23556535-L.jpg

23556538-L.jpg

the buggers are uber fast and change direction before i can even snap away most of the time. the F-18's of Bolsa for sure! (i'm thinking C-130 for pelicans and UFO for hummingbirds....)

thanks for the look!

-j

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    that first one is thumb.gif we had very bad light for shooting rocket ships and as you get a feel for them ,they always hover but not a long time :D nice shoots Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 31, 2005
    with so many of us west coasters shooting bolsa this is turning into tern fest '05!

here are a few of my humble offerings. the vast majority of my attempts ended up in the OOF graveyard. any tips on how to imrove these shots (besides not cutting the wings off!icon10.gif)?

the buggers are uber fast and change direction before i can even snap away most of the time. the F-18's of Bolsa for sure! (i'm thinking C-130 for pelicans and UFO for hummingbirds....)

thanks for the look!

-j
    You did just fine Jeff thumb.gifthumb.gif For all the reasons you mention, terns are really tough to nail. I was trying to get some diving for fish, the other day, and pretty much decided that's almost impossible....Laughing.gif I kept losing them on the way down (I don't pan downwards very well....lol) And yes, I cut lots of wings off too....lol

My only advice is stake out a spot where the light off them is decent, wait til they come close enough and start snapping away in burst mode ne_nau.gif They are pretty small and can get lost in the background quite easily (or the background can steal your focus eek7.gif ). The do hover ocassionaly and that's a perfect time to nail them :D

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    You did just fine Jeff thumb.gifthumb.gif For all the reasons you mention, terns are really tough to nail. I was trying to get some diving for fish, the other day, and pretty much decided that's almost impossible....Laughing.gif I kept losing them on the way down (I don't pan downwards very well....lol) And yes, I cut lots of wings off too....lol

My only advice is stake out a spot where the light off them is decent, wait til they come close enough and start snapping away in burst mode ne_nau.gif They are pretty small and can get lost in the background quite easily (or the background can steal your focus eek7.gif ). The do hover ocassionaly and that's a perfect time to nail them :D

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    good call steve. my shots need more thought beforehand i am finding. right now, im like a kid in a candy store when i go to shoot...what i call photography ADD. oooo that's cool...snap...something else moved...snap snap snap. time to graduate to a little planningmwink.gif. i'm going to try downward panning with a tripod and ballhead next time...
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Yeah I see Tern Fest :cool
    1st one thumb.gif
    Man I threw a ton away and yours are tighter did you crop. Didn't think mine could hold up to a tight crop ne_nau.gif

It keep a couple of diving like Steve said but they are OOF I'm sure kinda funny though splash no bird and next shot bird coming out of water :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Hey Jeff,

Good captures of an extremely hard subject. These guys are small, they move fast, and worse of all they are black and white making them a nightmare to expose for.

As Steve and Jeff have said its best to focus on them when they are hovering right before they start their dive into the water. Shooting in bursts is the best method to catch a good shot.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    A good Tern, Jeff, two good terns, well, I will try to give you a good tern, too.

Don't know if I have one, don't know the category, just took them Sunday.

I ended up taking a couple of small birds on a damn telephone pole. Figured if that was where they wanted to be, well, so be it.

I really like your first tern. Sharp, love feathers.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.