Getting used to bright sunlight

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in People
Trying out something new (for me) in bright sunlight.

498140821_VosKe-L.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    hmmm..from the sky it alomst appears the sun is behind the guy but from teh shadows it appears that the light is coming from in front. I can only conclude that you have a 30 foot reflector in front or off camera flash?eek7.gif

The photo is a bit soft though.headscratch.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Quarik, the sun is behind and I had a Qflash at full power to light the front. Softness should be from the reduction fo web. Original is clean.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Quarik, the sun is behind and I had a Qflash at full power to light the front. Softness should be from the reduction fo web. Original is clean.

Overpowering the sun, then, or something like that? I've never tried it, though I've been wanting to after seeing The Strobist's video of his trip on the desert. He had 7 speedlites, though, so I don't think I'll have enough power lol.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:

Wow. Works for me clap.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Overpowering the sun, then, or something like that? I've never tried it, though I've been wanting to after seeing The Strobist's video of his trip on the desert. He had 7 speedlites, though, so I don't think I'll have enough power lol.
    You can actually do it with one... I have lots of times.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    I forgot to mention before I hit submit that I really like this shot- very nicely done. I bet he likes it!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    You can actually do it with one... I have lots of times.
    It is much easier if you have HSS set. The faster shutter speed can greatly diminish the exposure contribution from the sun - leaving you the ability to control the flash contribution using the aperture.

I've also done a couple of tests using a pair of PocketWizards, a 580EX II, and a G9 - getting a shutter speed of 1/1250. It's amazing how dark you can get the sky at that speed and still get a decent exposure from the flash (ISO 80, f/3 or f/4 - forget where it ended up).