Bought another camera today, but...

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited March 28, 2009 in Cameras
... it's an FSLR this time. I didn't have to buy this, even though I only paid $5 for it, but I like collecting cameras, especially DSLRs. I have no idea what it's worth, it may not even work at all, but this store I bought it at say they do not accept anything that does not work. I can't find a scratch anywhere, but I do see very little hand-wear on it.

It's a Minolta Maxxum 70, before Konica bought them out, and it has a Quantaray 28-90mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 Aspherical lens, but no Macro. It seems to be a lens for digital cameras, but I guess they can work for film as well. I wouldn't know. lol

I don't know if the camera works or not. The CR2 batts are dead and of course there's no film. Just wondering what you all think it cost when brand new and what it could be worth now if it works like new?

I saw online that a used Minolta Maxxum 70 with a Minolta 28-100mm lens cost $200 now. I'm guessing this one may be worth the same or less.

One thing about it, I haven't been able to find the switch on the body to get it from AF to MF. It's stuck on AF now, and the lens has no switch.

Thanks! 1.gif
ʞ1└0

Comments

• davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Answers
    To your questions can be found;
    http://www.dyxum.com/index.asp
    clap.gif
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Thanks, Dave!

All I could find info on was the Maxum 7D and 5D, but no price on them. Mine's a Maxxum 70. There may info on there about mine, and maybe even a price, but I haven't found it yet.

Anyway, thanks again! Gotta go to work now.rolleyes1.gifeek7.gif
    ʞ1└0
  • jefff100jefff100 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Bluebook on Minolta
    Try your local library for a copy of McBroom's Camera Bluebook. I don't know what year your Maxxum is from. My copy of McBrooms is from 2000, and doesent list a Maxuum 70.

But if you can find a copy that does list it, the book should show you sales values new & used.

good luck.

Jeff

Kilo wrote:
    ... it's an FSLR this time. I didn't have to buy this, even though I only paid $5 for it, but I like collecting cameras, especially DSLRs. I have no idea what it's worth, it may not even work at all, but this store I bought it at say they do not accept anything that does not work. I can't find a scratch anywhere, but I do see very little hand-wear on it.

It's a Minolta Maxxum 70, before Konica bought them out, and it has a Quantaray 28-90mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 Aspherical lens, but no Macro. It seems to be a lens for digital cameras, but I guess they can work for film as well. I wouldn't know. lol

I don't know if the camera works or not. The CR2 batts are dead and of course there's no film. Just wondering what you all think it cost when brand new and what it could be worth now if it works like new?

I saw online that a used Minolta Maxxum 70 with a Minolta 28-100mm lens cost $200 now. I'm guessing this one may be worth the same or less.

One thing about it, I haven't been able to find the switch on the body to get it from AF to MF. It's stuck on AF now, and the lens has no switch.

Thanks! 1.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    jefff100 wrote:
    Try your local library for a copy of McBroom's Camera Bluebook. I don't know what year your Maxxum is from. My copy of McBrooms is from 2000, and doesent list a Maxuum 70.

But if you can find a copy that does list it, the book should show you sales values new & used.

good luck.

Jeff

Jeff, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the tip.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Could you upload a photo please so we may view this wonder from years gone by???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Good Evening Folks,
    Here is a pic of the MM 70.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited March 26, 2009
    edited March 26, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Could you upload a photo please so we may view this wonder from years gone by???

I couldn't get a decent photo taken, so here are two links to the the Minolta Maxxum 70, (not 7D).
    http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/konica-minolta/maxxum/70.html and http://www.amazon.com/Konica-Minolta-Maxxum-70-28-100mm/dp/B0001GV5EI

It seems that Amazon still sells them. Used for $200 and refurbished for $250, and they have Minolta 28-100mm lenses. Mine of course has a Quantaray 28-90mm. The other link is mostly about the specs of the Maxxum 70 with its 28-100mm lens.

I guess mine may be worth $80 - $100... if it even works. I cannot get the door to open so I can load film. The door's latch is stuck—it just won't budge.

Other than that, the only thing I did find after I finally got more light on it, were a couple of tiny scuff marks and a couple of places where it looks like something sharp tapped on it—very tiny. Pretty much have to have it in a well lit room to see the marks.

I got it from a Bethel Bible Thrift Shop. They won't buy or trade from people, they only sell what is given to them, but they also have said they won't take anything, even for free, unless it actually works. So I don't know how this camera got into the store since the film-door won't open.rolleyes1.gif Doesn't matter, the tag was only $5 and it's a nice collector's piece.1.gif
    ʞ1└0
    edited March 26, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Well, JG... ya've beaten me to it. lol
    ʞ1└0
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Kilo wrote:

I guess mine may be worth $80 - $100... if it even works. I cannot get the door to open so I can load film. The door's latch is stuck—it just won't budge.

The above makes me wonder if there is an interlock type of latch on it where you have to push something else first as a safeguard to keep you from opening it by accident. Do you happen to have the manual or found a place where you can download one?

Jane
    edited March 27, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    The above makes me wonder if there is an interlock type of latch on it where you have to push something else first as a safeguard to keep you from opening it by accident. Do you happen to have the manual or found a place where you can download one?

Jane
    No, the MM70 didn't come with a manual, box, lens cap, or anything like that; just the body, lens and strap. I haven't looked for a manual online yet, but I will later on.

I was thinking maybe it needs batts to get it to work, but what you said may be more likely, but I can't find anything else on there that unlocks the latch.

I use to have a Nikon FSLR that worked the same way as I thought this MM70 would. It was easy to open, which of course was by just pulling the latch down with a fingertip. Oh well, it's either broken or there's a trick to it.headscratch.gif
    ʞ1└0
    edited March 27, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    Well, JG... ya've beaten me to it. lol
    Morning Kilo,
    It must be my fuel injected, turbo charged keyboard. It gives me information before I finish typing rolleyes1.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
    edited March 28, 2009
    MM70 is working now, and a question about film speed...
    Well, the first thing that popped in my mind when it wouldn't open was that maybe the film door hindge was jammed, second thought was maybe it needs batts to make it open, but I also thought since my Nikon FSLR didn't need batts to open the door, why would the MM70? Well as we all know, different makes and models do different things.

Anyway it was the need of batts that made it open. Everything works, and only $5 for a nicely well taken care of camera.

Well the kid here would like to have it. I originally was just gonna keep it as a collectors camera, and use it sometimes. So since I decided to give it to him, and since he's a beginner with cameras, (especially now with this FSLR), what speed film would you suggest he start off with since he may be shooting mostly or only around light—whether it's bright or dim? Would 400 speed be okay?

Thanks! J<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    ʞ1└0
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 28, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    ... what speed film would you suggest he start off with since he may be shooting mostly or only around light—whether it's bright or dim? Would 400 speed be okay?

Thanks! J<o:p></o:p>

For learning 400 ISO film is a very good choice when you don't know what you will be shooting or under diverse conditions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums