Options

Easy color profile switching on a Mac?

dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in Finishing School
I'm wondering if there's a super-easy way to change color profiles on a Mac. I know that I can go into System Preference > Display > Color, but I'm looking for a shortcut.

Ideally, there'd be some small app I could download that would put a little icon in my menu bar next to the clock or the battery or something, and allow me to quickly see what color profile I'm currently using. If I click on it, it would quickly switch me to a different color profile, if desired.

Anyone know of an app like that?
Matt Dudley
Matt Dudley Photography
Nashville child photographer
Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    duds wrote:
    I'm wondering if there's a super-easy way to change color profiles on a Mac. I know that I can go into System Preference > Display > Color, but I'm looking for a shortcut.

Ideally, there'd be some small app I could download that would put a little icon in my menu bar next to the clock or the battery or something, and allow me to quickly see what color profile I'm currently using. If I click on it, it would quickly switch me to a different color profile, if desired.

Anyone know of an app like that?
    Why would you want to switch your mac to a different color profile? If your monitor is calibrated and profiled and you are using color-managed software to view images, you should not be changing the profile on your system - ever.

What real problem are you trying to solve?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Why would you want to switch your mac to a different color profile? If your monitor is calibrated and profiled and you are using color-managed software to view images, you should not be changing the profile on your system - ever.

What real problem are you trying to solve?

Good call. The real problem I'm trying to solve is that I don't trust my computer. I have a Macbook and an external monitor. Sometimes I use the monitor without the laptop, sometimes I use them both, and sometimes I just use the laptop. Obviously, I have separate profiles for my laptop and my external monitor. All of the plugging and unplugging means that my computer switches back and forth a lot betwen profiles, so at any given moment, I may want to check to see if the correct color profile is being used - and switch it if it's incorrect. I'm looking for an easy way to do that - on my desktop - without having to open system preferences every time...

Any ideas?
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    Nashville child photographer
    Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
    Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Apple Script
    duds wrote:
    All of the plugging and unplugging means that my computer switches back and forth a lot betwen profiles, so at any given moment, I may want to check to see if the correct color profile is being used - and switch it if it's incorrect. I'm looking for an easy way to do that - on my desktop - without having to open system preferences every time...

Any ideas?

i'll bet that your computer is switching correctly, but i think you could use an AppleScript to have it show you the ColorSync profile in use. By creating a script to do this, you would essentially have an item in the menu bar that does what you want.

take a look in your Applications folder for a folder named "AppleScript". in there is a utility for creating little lists of instructions that you want your computer to perform. there is an "Examples" folder which includes ColorSync controls. the one named "Embed Display Profile" could probably be modified (mostly just simplfied by removing the parts you don't need) to just display the Display Profile.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley