Options

Canon 500D announced

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited April 29, 2009 in Cameras
PRESS RELEASE:

Canon announces the new 15.1MP Canon EOS 500D which offers photographers an outstanding combination of features. Following the launch of the first Canon EOS camera to shoot movies – the Canon EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008 – Canon now brings Full High Definition (HD) video capability to consumers in a compact and lightweight DSLR.

The new Canon EOS 500D features a 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor – ideal for large detailed prints or enormous cropping possibilities. For shooting in near-dark conditions, the Canon EOS 500D offers a high ISO sensitivity up to 3200 which is expandable to 12800, giving photographers the power to shoot in the dimmest light conditions. Outstanding noise reduction is made possible by Canon’s DIGIC 4 processor.

The Canon EOS 500D heralds a new way for photography enthusiasts to capture their world. It pairs outstanding still image capture with Full HD 1080P video recording. For longer video shoots, users can also choose lower shooting resolutions of 720P or VGA. A built-in HDMI connection allows easy and instant review of images and movie clips on any compatible HDTV.

Every detail revealed
Exacting image preview and review is provided by a 3.0in. Clear View LCD screen.The same screen as used on the acclaimed Canon EOS 5D Mark II, it features a 920,000 dot count – for ultra-detailed image review, accurate focus checks, and clear access to the EOS menu system. As well as aiding shooting from awkward angles, Live View mode includes contrast based and Face Detection AF options. Ideal for newcomers to digital SLR photography, these allow compact-camera style auto focus, with a real-time image displayed on the LCD.

Fast processing, fast focusing
Canon’s DIGIC 4 processor drives continuous shooting speeds of up to 3.4 fps in bursts of up to 170 JPEGs (Figure may vary depending on capacity of SD card used). Using Canon’s wide area AF system – which features 9 individual sensors, including a central cross type point with a high precision sensor for f/2.8 or faster lenses– makes capturing split-second action sequences possible.

DIGIC 4 works in conjunction with the CMOS sensor to deliver exceptional noise reduction and 14-bit image processing for smooth gradation of tones and natural-looking colours. In addition, DIGIC 4 enables the ultra-fast start-up times and near-instant image review after shooting that photographers demand.

Distinctive EOS quality
Despite its compact, lightweight body, the Canon EOS 500D includes all the hallmarks of the EOS system. Every detail of the Canon EOS 500D – from the large, bright viewfinder to the famously intuitive EOS menu system – is designed to provide users with a world-class shooting experience.

Image quality is protected by the EOS Integrated Cleaning System, which reduces, repels and removes unwanted dust from the sensor. Stubborn particles can be easily removed in post-production by using Dust Delete Data – which can be added to the image in-camera – and Canon’s included Digital Photo Professional software.

Digital Photo Professional software offers a comprehensive RAW editing package, with functions such as a quick check tool, a cropping tool, and a stamp tool – plus the ability to change brightness, White Balance and Picture Styles in RAW images. The software suite is included with EOS Utility and Picture Style editor for unrivalled versatility.

Compatibility with the full range of Canon’s EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites – including the exceptionally compact, powerful new

Speedlite 270EX, which features a bounce and zoom head, plus fast recharging from just 2 AA sized batteries – allows the creation of a shooting system as unique as the photographer using it.

“The Canon EOS 500D pushes the boundaries of what photographers can demand from their cameras, combining exceptional images with full HD video,” said Rainer Fuehres, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging, Europe. “Photography enthusiasts can now capture their most significant moments in a manner that matches their creativity.”

Any Canon photographer can register for the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY service, which allows access to the latest EOS information, useful updates and exclusive EOS content – plus tools that allow users to create their own video podcasts and store images online.

Pricing and availability:
The Canon EOS 500D (body only) is available from early May 2009 priced at £869.99 / €999.99 RRP inc. VAT.

The Canon EOS 500D EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit is available from early May 2009 priced at £969.99 / €1139.99 RRP inc. VAT.

The Canon EOS 500D EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit is available from early May 2009 priced at £1399.99 / €1639.99 RRP inc. VAT.

Features at a glance:

* 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
* Full HD movie recording with HDMI connection for viewing and playback on an HDTV
* ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 12800)
* 3.4 frames per second continuous shooting
* Max. 170 large JPEG images in a single burst
* 3.0in. ClearView LCD with Live View mode
* 9-point wide area AF with cross type centre point
* High speed DIGIC 4 performance and superb image quality
* EOS Integrated Cleaning System
* Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites, including new Speedlite 270EX, TS-E 17mm f/4L and the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II.

Visit the Canon website for more details.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_500D/index.asp

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Called the EOS Rebel T1i in the US. Very interesting offering. I wonder if it also offers up the AF Microadjustment available in the 5DII and the 50D? I don't see it listed in either the "Features" page or the "Specifications" page.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Looks like they are cramming the features that the 5D2 down to the 50D into the 400/450/500 series. Very cool!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Canon UK compare camara function shows it to be basically an XSi with video rolleyes1.gif . Still uses a pentamirror, 4% spotmeter, 9 focus points, Highlight tone priority, ISO 100-12,800 in 1 stop increm., 1/4000 shutter, HDMI output and slightly faster motor drive with slightly larger buffer (170 JPEG images). It DOES have what appears to be the same LCD as the 50D, high res, anti reflective and anti smudge clap.gif. Of course it is 14bit and 15.1 meg.

The march goes on, when will it stop?!eek7.gif
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Never. Though the 15.1 MP might be too much, as it was for the 50D as well. Well here's hoping.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Great little DSLR. Many enjoy them, except I prefer the little window on the top of my camera that lights up in a light shade of amber (some are green) to show more info. A friend has the Rebel XTi, and he says he and his wife love it. I enjoy my 30D, even though I don't guess mine's a pro model, but I enjoy it nevertheless.:D
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Never. Though the 15.1 MP might be too much, as it was for the 50D as well. Well here's hoping.
    I agree, I wish Canon had stopped at ~12 MP for the cropped sensor.
    Chris
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    This easily falls into the category of "Hmmm, I wonder what their testing environment is/was" but I found this and thought others might find it interesting as well....

Click here for the web-site from where this comparison was extracted....

BTW - That's the 50D on the left and the 500D/T1i on the right, both at ISO 12,800. I'm hoping that the major difference is in firmware and that the 50D will get a firmware upgrade to improve it's high ISO performance to this level ne_nau.gif

498660656_HwwZh-XL.jpg
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I wonder if the release of the E-620 spawned an earlier than planned release of this camera...
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Does this sounds like a D90 killer? Especially at that price (900USD with a lens)!

Saw this article on the 500D at wired: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/03/canon-500d-hi-d.html

500d.jpg
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    Does this sounds like a D90 killer? ...

Nah, plenty of room for both Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Pentax and Sony and Fuji and ..., who'd I miss?) No reason to "kill" anyone.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Most people aren't going to buy a DSLR based upon its ability to shoot video. That's probably going to change before too long, but I believe DSLR shooters put video capability some ways down the list of wants and video people are still going to get more value from a dedicated video system with a somewhat familiar form-factor.

John
    Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    yes but most rebel buyers are just starting into DSLRs. Most likely upgrading from a P&S camera which almost always has video.

I know I upgraded from the Powershot S1 to the S3 based on video, and a little bit on the macro ability, but mostly video.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I agree, I wish Canon had stopped at ~12 MP for the cropped sensor.
    Same here but I personally stopped jumping in with every new camera, so it's more academic for me.

But Canon has traditionally used the xxD series technology for their Rebel series with less fps, pentamirror, and less robust body, so nothing really new, maybe except the HD video.

Should be a nice camera as usual per Canon's standards.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Wonder how many folks jumped at the 5DMkII for the HD video, only to be slapping their foreheads now?
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I doubt many bought it just for that. In fact, I would venture to guess that most 5DMkII owners rarely use video.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I doubt many bought it just for that. In fact, I would venture to guess that most 5DMkII owners rarely use video.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    If there was an option to NOT have the video (and maybe shave off a couple of Benjamins) I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    What kinda frustrates me is that this is becoming an obvious trend and that means the 60D (or 50DmkII, or whatever name is gonna be) is doomed to have it, too :-(:cry
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I'll be interested to see how the high iso works in "real life".

I am a very - VERY - happy xsi owner, but that camera REALLY hates being underexposed....and since high ISO is what you want when there's no light, it tends to be a bit of a conundrum. If the 500d is similar, then I'd be surprised if those higher values are as usable as they claim. With the xsi, 1600 is almost always disappointing (although 800 is excellent). It is the ONLY thing about the camera I find lacking, btw - in all other regards, I give it 10 out of 10 for somebody who prefers less weight to carry around.

As for video, I wish they wouldn't bother. If I wanted a video camera, I'd go buy one......
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Most people aren't going to buy a DSLR based upon its ability to shoot video. That's probably going to change before too long, but I believe DSLR shooters put video capability some ways down the list of wants and video people are still going to get more value from a dedicated video system with a somewhat familiar form-factor.

John

From my point of view, I'm just an enthusiast with an XSi and I would love the video feature. I'm happy with the 12 megapixels so the 15 doesn't really interest me. But I want to upgrade to the 50D platform with video and not the Rebel platform. I want to move up to a slightly more robust camera with better low light capabilities.

My typical use was this last weekend when I took my son riding with our friends at the dunes in Florence, OR. I carried my XSi in my backpack and had a GoPro Hero helmet cam mounted on my handlebars. I took over 600 pics of the kids/dads riding and jumping and as much video as I could. However, the video is very low quality compared to the pics. I would have loved to get jumps like the photo below, on HD video as well. *Edit: I have an HD camcorder but don't want to carry that much equipment with me.

Does anyone know if/when there will be a 50D version with video?

498765473_erp48-L.jpg

Wayne in Oregon
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:
    ...Does anyone know if/when there will be a 50D version with video?
    Probably by the end of this year the 60D will have it with the current trend. I don't much care for the video feature either. I'm waiting for higher ISO performance similar to the Canon 5DmkII or Nikon D3 to make it to the xxD and 1D series.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    'm waiting for higher ISO performance similar to the Canon 5DmkII or Nikon D3 to make it to the xxD and 1D series.

Cuong

THAT will be worth an upgrade... and if current trends continue will probably appready just about when I'm ready for a new body :D
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    1080p at 20fps is completely useless. The PowerShot SX1 can do 1080p @ 30fps & that's a consumer model. You're telling me they cant make the T1i do the same?? I dont buy it.

Canon has been doing a lot of this unnecessary crippling of their products lately. If you'll notice, in all of the new point & shoot models they announced recently, none of them can optically zoom while recording video. And also they limited the audio to mono only. This is totally done on purpose because if you'll remember, the HD capable Powershot TX1 from almost 2 years ago was able to do all those things. Now, here we go again with this new Rebel model.

Canon is doing these things with their point & shoots because they also sell standalone camcorders. Now they're doing it with this Rebel to separate it from the Mark II 5D. It's basically a way to up-sell to the consumer by making them shell out more money to get the features that should have been there in the first place.

Its BS in my book. Send a message to Canon by not buying anymore of their products. Other camera manufacturers are embracing hybrids & giving you the features you want. My suggestion is to go with one of them in your next camera purchase.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    ... Send a message to Canon by not buying anymore of their products. Other camera manufacturers are embracing hybrids & giving you the features you want. My suggestion is to go with one of them in your next camera purchase.

I buy my equipment according to what it can do for me regardless of the doodads that it does poorly. I bought all of my Canon cameras based on my needs and they have met my needs nicely. (Yes, Nikon and others could also meet those needs especially in the newer models.)

I'm not a big fan of the video section of the 5D MKII but if you need what it does, it works pretty well. It will not replace a conventional 3-chip high-quality video camera/camcorder but it does do some things that they cannot.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2009
    ...none of them can optically zoom while recording video...

Both my S1 and S3 can zoom optically while recording video. No first hand experience on newer models though.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    Both my S1 and S3 can zoom optically while recording video. No first hand experience on newer models though.
    Exactly. But those didnt do HD & also used Motion Jpeg instead of H.264. The Powershot SX1 does indeed zoom while recording in 1080p 30fps mode, but of course its $600 & Canon was hesitant to release it to the US until they gave in to consumer demand over here (its been out a while now overseas). But this is the top of the line (and only) Powershot model currently that does HD, zooms during recording & does stereo audio. The TX1 did these things almost 2 years ago & was a consumer based pocketable model. But they discontinued it shortly after release.

My point is, Canon has allowed in the past many of their point & shoots (even pocketable ones) to zoom during recording mode. The fact that they now shoot in HD is irrelevant. Out of all the new models of P&Ss they announced that do HD in H.264, not a single one of them have this feature now. Like Canon all of a sudden forget how to put that in their cameras or something. rolleyes1.gif No stereo either.

Now they're doing similar crippling with their dSLRs as well. There's simply no reason for any of it on either end other than to entice people to shell out more money for either one of their standalone camcorders, or in the case of this new Rebel, opt for the MUCH more expensive Mark II 5D. Because technically, there's no reason that the Rebel couldn't be made to do 1080p at 30fps. They just crippled it on purpose.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I buy my equipment according to what it can do for me regardless of the doodads that it does poorly. I bought all of my Canon cameras based on my needs and they have met my needs nicely. (Yes, Nikon and others could also meet those needs especially in the newer models.)
    Well, thats your choice & you're certainly entitled to it. But I wouldnt call the option to capture high quality video on still cameras a "doodad". Convergence is clearly where the market is headed, nomatter how much companies like Canon try to hold back on it with shenanigans like this. And the more people support them, the more they'll do it & think it's OK.
  • Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I wonder if it also offers up the AF Microadjustment available in the 5DII and the 50D? I don't see it listed in either the "Features" page or the "Specifications" page.

I don't think it has it.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Wonder how many folks jumped at the 5DMkII for the HD video, only to be slapping their foreheads now?

The 5dmkii has HD...while the new cam has hd as already reported. No need for head slapping. :D
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    1080p at 20fps is completely useless. The PowerShot SX1 can do 1080p @ 30fps & that's a consumer model. You're telling me they cant make the T1i do the same?? I dont buy it.

Canon has been doing a lot of this unnecessary crippling of their products lately. If you'll notice, in all of the new point & shoot models they announced recently, none of them can optically zoom while recording video. And also they limited the audio to mono only. This is totally done on purpose because if you'll remember, the HD capable Powershot TX1 from almost 2 years ago was able to do all those things. Now, here we go again with this new Rebel model.

Canon is doing these things with their point & shoots because they also sell standalone camcorders. Now they're doing it with this Rebel to separate it from the Mark II 5D. It's basically a way to up-sell to the consumer by making them shell out more money to get the features that should have been there in the first place.

Its BS in my book. Send a message to Canon by not buying anymore of their products. Other camera manufacturers are embracing hybrids & giving you the features you want. My suggestion is to go with one of them in your next camera purchase.

Well, don't use the 1080P mode then. 720P looks fantastic on my 50" screen. I don't think anyone's really going to notice the difference even if you showed them side by side.

Anyone "really" needing 1080P is not going to be using an $800 DSLR to shoot video anyway.

So if any of Canon's cameraa are crippled it's any of them that don't shoot ANY video.
    Gene
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2009
    I am finding this funny.

Who would have thought a year ago, or even 6 months ago that a bunch of photographers would be talking about the video abilities of their DSLRs....
  • Options
    LivingLargeLivingLarge Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    I am finding this funny.

Who would have thought a year ago, or even 6 months ago that a bunch of photographers would be talking about the video abilities of their DSLRs....

AMEN . . . What has the world come to! eek7.gif Is the sky falling? ne_nau.gif Next thing ya know we will all be yelling "Cut!" :crazy
    “He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heartis an artist.”