Camera cleaning

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in Cameras
I've seen some posts where people refer to sending their cameras to canon for cleaning, inspection, etc. How is this done, how much does it cost and is it a good value? My 5D has about 20k shots and I was thinking of doing this in the next year or so as I have shot In snow, rain, and a lot around the ocean.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I've seen some posts where people refer to sending their cameras to canon for cleaning, inspection, etc. How is this done, how much does it cost and is it a good value? My 5D has about 20k shots and I was thinking of doing this in the next year or so as I have shot In snow, rain, and a lot around the ocean.

It sounds like you are looking for a "CLA", "Clean, Lubricate and Adjust".

I believe that part of the answer lies in whether or not you are a member of CPS. The exact costs may also vary by product. (I typically hear of costs from $60-$150 for non-CPS individuals and out-of-warranty CLA.)

Also allow some time for the service, typically 2-4 weeks.

Do feel free to ask Canon as they would know for sure:

1-800-OK-CANON
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

I believe that part of the answer lies in whether or not you are a member of CPS. The exact costs may also vary by product. (I typically hear of costs from $60-$150 for non-CPS individuals and out-of-warranty CLA.)

1-800-OK-CANON

What is Canon CPS?
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

1-800-OK-CANON

Thanks Ziggy. I'd be interested to hear if anyone out there has had it done and feels it was a good service, and also at what point (shutter # or camera age) they would feel it is appropriate.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    cpagility wrote:
    What is Canon CPS?

Canon Professional Services or something like that. Basically they get special stuff 'cause they are 'special'. mwink.gif
    //Leah
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Canon Professional Services or something like that. Basically they get special stuff 'cause they are 'special'. mwink.gif

I just looked at the requirements, you have to have a camera better than 30D, 3 L lenses and full time photographer. I'm not full time, although I guess I could say I am, and membership ranges $0 for silver membership to $300 annually. Didnt see a list of specific benefits though, but I think you get discounts on lenses, rentals directly from Canon, among others. I couldn't find a price for the camera cleaning for non CPS, so I will give them a call sometime.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Thread on the new CPS.

This program is designed for professional photographers and the need to have the gear repaired quickly.

Most repairs take two weeks + while CPS gear is fast tracked.