Concert Opera rehearsal teaser

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in People
This was a fun-but-frustrating event, because from the photographic point of view, the lighting was disastrous: one (yes, ONE) lantern front of house stage left with a dark red gel on it. There were supposed to be 2-4 lights on trees l and r but there were technical difficulties and only one light worked (this is why we call it "rehearsal") The white shafts of light you see are from backstage lighting, and spill from the pianist's lamp....

SOOC
498679356_yW7rg-L.jpg

And a couple that I've worked on. I used the 85 1.8 and 50 1.8, and was at ISO 1600, 1.8 or 2.0 and getting speeds from 125-200 WHILE UNDEREXPOSING. I probably could have (should have) risked blur and done a few more that were more generously exposed, but last time I did this I had too many blurry ones, so decided to go the other way. Ah well..... experience is a wonderful thing..... :dunno :wink

Any sugggestions for further improving noise-reduction and clarity SERIOUSLY welcomed - these have had everything I currently know about thrown at them - shot in raw, some NR when I open it in LR, tweak, sharpen in PS, run it through Noiseware) I've also been trying to lose the red cast from the gel without actually taking away from the reality of what it was like (that is NOT a WB issue, that's really what it looked like) and found that a bunch of desaturating helped, but the noise, noise, noise.... ugh. They look ok at this size, but when they're any bigger they have those little "I used NR software" flecks all over them. Is there a solution, or is that just the nature of the beast?

498679346_oEL6A-L.jpg

498679293_FLU3y-L.jpg

More to follow when I get them processed!