Options

PSE Elementary

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited March 26, 2009 in Finishing School
A very simple, elementary question re: PSE 7. Will/Does it allow layering (adding textures and so-forth) and will a majority of today's "plug-ins" operate simultaneously along PSE 7? I'm not up to purchasing CS4 and I'm not so sure I would ever need it. What I am after, however, is the aforementioned abilities. I shoot w/ a Nikon and my Capture NX2 is a fine editing tool. My wish would be to really inject a healthy dose of creativity into my work. Special "actions", texture layering, sequence action single-frame shots, shadowing, copyright/watermark, etc. So, am I good-to-go with trusty ol' PSE 7? I suppose what it comes down to is what I can versus cannot do w/ PSE 7 that CS4 would warrant the price. Thank you all so much for any advice that you may offer. Now hit me! :help

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    PSE does layers. There should be a plugin to do watermark as well. I have PSE 6 and there is a plug in for that. So I suppose it's the same for PSE 7.

I think PSE 7 should be fine for your work unless you are a working pro or need to make photo albums or such.

You can also download the trial version and try it out and see if it fits your needs as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Thanks TW. Anyone else care to share their experiences.....please? :D

.....pretty please? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I have both Photoshop (full version) and Elements. Elements is quite sufficient for routine post-processing of family snapshots. It has all of the most-used tools for adjustments. If my photography was just family snaps and the occasional "arty" photograph, Elements would be all I'd need.

I started on the full version of Photoshop, though, and I'm accustomed to working in that program. The features in the full version, that are not in Elements, require hours of study and practice to be fully utilized. I would say that I never use 80-some percent of the full-version features in routine photo processing.

Your choice should be based on what you photograph, what you will do with the photographs, and how much time and effort you are willing to put in to learn the advanced steps. And, of course, budget.

One is not better than the other. The "better" is based on what you expect to get out of them.

The one thing most overlooked in making the choice is that the editing program will not make ordinary photograqphs into great photographs.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/