Play and Bath photo session

GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
edited March 26, 2009 in People
Hi everyone!!

I have a photo shoots coming up where we are planning a Play/bath photo session.

I did a try out with my model :) baby girl. Please let me know what you think about the series. Angle position, any other ideas, etc.. I can take criticism, but only if it is nice and to help me out :). W.O further blah, blah..here there are :)

Play set:

498652295_To5hr-M.jpg

498651762_Q9CU3-M.jpg

498651691_k8BPk-M.jpg

498652526_eLjGg-M.jpg

498745289_yqyUM-M.jpg

498745050_g5iXW-M.jpg

498745158_b5F5B-M.jpg

Now, for the bath

498135037_U4DTR-M-1.jpg
499275124_aA6X4-M.jpg
498142423_DMpkn-M.jpg
498143232_CyLgj-M.jpg
498138113_fdEMi-M.jpg
498141298_vYN4S-M.jpg
498139616_iQgeC-M.jpg

one more from the play set I really liked. I know it is blown on her right side but I like it.
498651990_CLCG5-M.jpg

Ok! Thank you!! :) Look forward to your ideas and comments.

GG

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    To make the photos visible here, you need to go into Customize Gallery and select yes for External Links.

Also, I noticed you have "appearance" set to "Smugmug" for some galleries and "Custom" for other galleries.

For example, "Mommy and Me" and "Daddy and Me" are using custom, but "Babies", "Children" and "Teens" are using "Smugmug". Doesn't make for a consistent look and feel when viewing your sitel.

Finally, I would suggest replacing the "picture" in your Services gallery with actual text. It would make the information much easier to read. See #39 at http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq then ask for any help in the Smugmug Customization forum here.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    GG: Glad you got the links working. I deleted all the posts about how to post, as they are no longer relevant.

Cheers,
    edited March 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    GG: Glad you got the links working. I deleted all the posts about how to post, as they are no longer relevant.

Oh, that's what happened. I was sratching my head wondering where those posts went.

Also I was under the impression based on prior discussion that DGrin policy is to not delete individual posts...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 25, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Oh, that's what happened. I was sratching my head wondering where those posts went.

Also I was under the impression based on prior discussion that DGrin policy is to not delete individual posts...

We don't generally delete posts, unless they have violated the rules of the forum. Recently I have started to delete posts about problems posting once the OP resolves the problem. My only reason for doing so is to make the thread more readable--I think there's no need to go through a whole page of posts that are no longer relevant.

Edit: I restored your post, Bill, after realizing that it contained other, useful comments. Sorry I tried to toss it before.
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    We don't generally delete posts, unless they have violated the rules of the forum. Recently I have started to delete posts about problems posting once the OP resolves the problem. My only reason for doing so is to make the thread more readable--I think there's no need to go through a whole page of posts that are no longer relevant.

Edit: I restored your post, Bill, after realizing that it contained other, useful comments. Sorry I tried to toss it before.

thanks for restoring Bill's post, I really wanted that one ;) Ok now people, let's comment on my pics PLEASE... I have this photo shoot this saturday and want to know other ideas or suggestions, etc.. e.t.c :)

Thanks! GG
    edited March 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:

Thanks Richard. Please feel free to remove these posts where we are discussing the deleted posts...
    edited March 25, 2009
    Okay, so I'm not a people/portrait photog (but I want to improve my skills in this area) so I'm not the best person to comment/critique your images, however I like 1 and 6 the best (BTW number your photos from 1 to whatever, don't start over in the middle because the "set" changed).

#1 the base board and wall are distracting. Try blurring them away.

#6 you've got that nice out of focus background, so the focus is solely on the little girl where it belongs.

Hope this helps just a little bit... ne_nau.gif
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I really like the bath time type series.. The only ones I'd be a little worried about is 9 and 12, depending on mom and dad, there might be issues with being too close to the little girls bottom quarters. So just make sure you crop accordingly! (JUST below belly button, but no further!thumb.gif ). Other than those worries, I think they're cute and if you do anything remotely near these they'll be happy!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited March 26, 2009
    I really like the bath time type series.. The only ones I'd be a little worried about is 9 and 12, depending on mom and dad, there might be issues with being too close to the little girls bottom quarters. So just make sure you crop accordingly! (JUST below belly button, but no further!thumb.gif ). Other than those worries, I think they're cute and if you do anything remotely near these they'll be happy!

Thanks! You just gave me a great idea.. I am going to send these to them and see what they think about them! :) I will send them cropped and original see which ones they like best..

Thanks!!! :)
    GG
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Very good series of images in deed.

The B+W toning is just about right.
    edited March 26, 2009

Ok! check it out.. on #12, I blurred it out a bit. I didn't like the way it looked cropped. On #9 i cropped just below the belly b as you suggested. What do you think?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    The "Play Set":
    • Get down on her level
    • A bit more context would probably help out a bit - some are cropped a bit too tightly
    • Pay a bit more attention to the backgrounds. Like Bill says, the baseboard heater, parts of the wall, and whatever that is in #5 are all a bit distracting. I don't think blurring these in post will be enough.
    The "Bath Set"
    • Again, more context - I finally figured out that the bath was being taken in the kitchen sink. The effort of figuring that out distracted me from actually seeing the images.
    • #9 - I really like her interaction with her belly - that's just so cute. I'm not loving the blown out portions of the sink - hugely distracting.
    • #11 - again, need to pay a bit more attention to the background. Clear out all the kitchen implements and supplies to remove the distractions.
    • #14 - crop is too tight. I want to know what she's playing with.
    • #9, #12 - I think the blurring is not the solution. I think the parents will love the "uncorrected" image. I just think posting it in a public forum is problematic.
    Over-all, this series shows that you have a very nicely developed creative bent and I think you will do very well for your client.thumb.gif
    edited March 26, 2009
    The "Play Set":
    • Get down on her level
    • A bit more context would probably help out a bit - some are cropped a bit too tightly
    • Pay a bit more attention to the backgrounds. Like Bill says, the baseboard heater, parts of the wall, and whatever that is in #5 are all a bit distracting. I don't think blurring these in post will be enough.
    The "Bath Set"
    • Again, more context - I finally figured out that the bath was being taken in the kitchen sink. The effort of figuring that out distracted me from actually seeing the images.
    • #9 - I really like her interaction with her belly - that's just so cute. I'm not loving the blown out portions of the sink - hugely distracting.
    • #11 - again, need to pay a bit more attention to the background. Clear out all the kitchen implements and supplies to remove the distractions.
    • #14 - crop is too tight. I want to know what she's playing with.
    • #9, #12 - I think the blurring is not the solution. I think the parents will love the "uncorrected" image. I just think posting it in a public forum is problematic.
    Over-all, this series shows that you have a very nicely developed creative bent and I think you will do very well for your client.thumb.gif

Scott, this is great! thank you! I will ask Mom to clean out her kitchen.. maybe put a rubber ducky or the soap/shampoo she will be using and maybe the towel , not pots and pans hehehehe.. About the blown out sink, I tried to meter the light on that, but then my baby was too dark. Do you have another tip for situations like this?

FYI-On the play set.. #5, we have an old house; we still have those odd looking heaters. rolleyes1.gif That is her favorite place to play, I kept moving her, but she kept coming back to it.

Thank you Scott, you are too cool!

GG
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    GemGem wrote:
    Scott, this is great! thank you! I will ask Mom to clean out her kitchen.. maybe put a rubber ducky or the soap/shampoo she will be using and maybe the towel , not pots and pans hehehehe.. About the blown out sink, I tried to meter the light on that, but then my baby was too dark. Do you have another tip for situations like this?
    Maybe cover the window with white paper or a sheer of the needed opacity to dial back on the power of the light coming in through the window. Then, use either off-camera flash or a reflector to throw some light back onto your subject. In either case the reflector/ flash will be somewhere on the "leeward side" of your model to catch/project that light back to fill in shadows.

If you use off-camera flash, I'm guessing you will probably want it to be 1 to 2 stops less than the ambient.
    edited March 26, 2009
    Maybe cover the window with white paper or a sheer of the needed opacity to dial back on the power of the light coming in through the window. Then, use either off-camera flash or a reflector to throw some light back onto your subject. In either case the reflector/ flash will be somewhere on the "leeward side" of your model to catch/project that light back to fill in shadows.

If you use off-camera flash, I'm guessing you will probably want it to be 1 to 2 stops less than the ambient.

GOT IT! This forum is GREAT.. Thank you Scott! bowdown.gif PERFECT!