Options

I need some help...

Malaxos1Malaxos1 Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
I only have a few days before my trial period ends. I am a pro who makes a living doing weddings, portraits and seniors, even though landscapes are my passion. Anyway, I joined smugmug so that I can give my clients a place where they can order directly and I won't have to do all the work myself. The problem that I am having is that while I was able to figure out how to post photo, set prices and change the header, I am lost. I really need to add more pages via a navigation system. I need to add a page for a bio (not the smugmug one with the photo), a page for wedding and portrait pricing and a contact page. without these I am sunk. I called a friend in NY who makes webpages for a living and she said that this site is a bit complicated and that I should post a message here. Please someone help. Thanks...Dean
Dean Malaxos Photography
Margaretville New York (Catskill Mnts)
www.deanmalaxos.com
deansphotos@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 31, 2005
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    I only have a few days before my trial period ends. I am a pro who makes a living doing weddings, portraits and seniors, even though landscapes are my passion. Anyway, I joined smugmug so that I can give my clients a place where they can order directly and I won't have to do all the work myself. The problem that I am having is that while I was able to figure out how to post photo, set prices and change the header, I am lost. I really need to add more pages via a navigation system. I need to add a page for a bio (not the smugmug one with the photo), a page for wedding and portrait pricing and a contact page. without these I am sunk. I called a friend in NY who makes webpages for a living and she said that this site is a bit complicated and that I should post a message here. Please someone help. Thanks...Dean
    Dean,

This best way to do a bio/contact page is to create a dedicated album, upload only one photo..and then set the style to Journal.

I have setup a very rough example of my smugmug gallery (see below), all the links point to the same album, but u should be the basic idea.

Let me know if you have any questions.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Thanks David, I like what you have done. How did you get the tabs at the top of the page? Your page looks good and is easy to navigate. While I would like something more, what you have set up will be enough to get me up and running. I have a wedding comming up in three weeks and would love to be able to post the couples album and allow them to buy directly from my smugmug page...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    Thanks David, I like what you have done. How did you get the tabs at the top of the page? Your page looks good and is easy to navigate. While I would like something more, what you have set up will be enough to get me up and running. I have a wedding comming up in three weeks and would love to be able to post the couples album and allow them to buy directly from my smugmug page...Dean
    Dean,

This code is pretty straight forward, add the following code to the 'HTML Header' section and replace the [insert url] placeholders with the full url to the individual pages...

<center>
    [PHP]
    <center>
    <a href="[insert url]">Biography</a>

<a href="[insert url]">Pricing</a>

<a href="[insert url]">Contact</a>
    </center>
    <br/>[/PHP]
    </center>

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Alright David, I was able to get the links pasted to my webpage, and I understand that I have to replace the URLs to get them to find the page. Now I have two more questions. 1) how do I get rid of the bio album from the homepage. I noticed your was hidden except when you clicked on the bio link. 2) how do I add text to my bio page (bio album)? All I found was add comments and it puts the text under the photo. Thanks again for all your help...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    One more thing, can you help me change the bottom of my page as well. I would love to get rid of the smugmug info and personalize it...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Malaxos1 wrote:
    Alright David, I was able to get the links pasted to my webpage, and I understand that I have to replace the URLs to get them to find the page. Now I have two more questions. 1) how do I get rid of the bio album from the homepage. I noticed your was hidden except when you clicked on the bio link. 2) how do I add text to my bio page (bio album)? All I found was add comments and it puts the text under the photo. Thanks again for all your help...Dean
    To remove the normal bio, friends and family, etc from the main front page, go to control panel...and next to each item there should be a 'remove from homepage link', click that for each element and it will be removed from the front page.

To add the info next to the photo...the text that appears next to it is actually the description for the photo, so click on the photo and select 'edit description/keywords'

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Dean,

The other thing you can do, if you don't want your 'bio' album to appear on the front page (ie. the cat photo), you can set that album to private and it will still be visible if a user clicks the 'Biography' link.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    I did figure out how to hide the album, thanks...Dean
    Dean Malaxos Photography
    www.deanmalaxos.com
    deansphotos@hotmail.com
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 2, 2005
    I'd like to thank David for this information. I would have never thought to do things this way (create a gallery for information and make it private), and have implemented it, and really like how it looks. Great info on this board!

Barb
    digitaldaze.smugmug.com
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    I'd like to thank David for this information. I would have never thought to do things this way (create a gallery for information and make it private), and have implemented it, and really like how it looks. Great info on this board!

Barb
    digitaldaze.smugmug.com
    Hey Barb,

Glad you found the info useful icon10.gif

Checked out ur site, looks great.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos