Please Post!

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited March 26, 2009 in People
....examples of your portraiture (wedding, seniors, candids, etc)

mixed - blended - layered - combined - mashed - merged

WHATEVER! :D ....with textures. I am contemplating a PSE7 purchase, have downloaded the trial, and am very curious about these types of images. I'm not asking for steps and/or instructions (but will take whatever the fab D Grin community is willing to offer to this PS Virgin! :D :deal :bow )

I will readily admit that I don't know the first thing about creating this type of image. I want to apply it to both my landscape and people "portfolio".

I'm simply looking for "Inspiration" and trying to let creativity take the pilot seat from there.

Thank you all in advance for any gracious examples your willing to provide.

:help :ps :confused :dgrin

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    While I don't knock Elements at all as a piece of software, at last check it didnt support masks....which would create some difficulties not in applying a texture as a layer, but in fine tuning where you want texture and where you do not. The eraser tool could be used to "erase" the texture from areas where you dont want it, but you would be limited to blending the edges of the eraser by the softest available brush. With masks, you can not only paint it in with a soft brush, but also apply various filters...including gaussian blur...to the mask to further soften the brushed in/out areas.

Not impossible, but you will be limited to what you can do. PSCS ...any version...is much friendlier in this regard.

492821765_YnCEL-M.jpg

310829398_kGNAK-M-3.jpg

For fun....heres an original
    279256446_SmcFC-S.jpg

413070858_Ui58q-M-1.jpg

413497595_AeU2V-M.jpg

This was an image for a DSS challenge themed "Elements". Titled "Tungsten #74" it was based on a series of photos taken and combined using layer blending modes like we use for textures to complete the final composite.
    352879874_XyjTh-M-1.jpg
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! Exactly what I wanted to see and exactly what I needed to hear! I specifically remember your pictures of the young man above, particularly the young man that was the band leader, and wanted similar results out of some of my images in the future. I totally get what your saying about masks v/s layers and not being able to creatively/selectively "place" your mask/layer where and how strongly you would like to. I guess CS4 will be punishing the wallet sooner than expected.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! Exactly what I wanted to see and exactly what I needed to hear! I specifically remember your pictures of the young man above, particularly the young man that was the band leader, and wanted similar results out of some of my images in the future. I totally get what your saying about masks v/s layers and not being able to creatively/selectively "place" your mask/layer where and how strongly you would like to. I guess CS4 will be punishing the wallet sooner than expected.

Again....Elements is a fine program, and honestly "could" handle MOST of what I do with images, but....

I use masks nearly as often as I use multiple layers....and to me....having the ability to use layers...and NOT masks is really pointless. I honestly believe that if you spend the hundred bucks( or whatever is costs nowdays) to get Elements you will eventually become frustrated IF your intentions are to do this type of post processing. That would be a waste of $100 later when you realize you would be better off with photoshop.

In the meantime, you might want to check out "The GIMP".
    http://www.gimp.org/

It is an open source editing software that is more in line with photoshop rather than elements....and the price is surely affordable.

Not a bad way to get started right away.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I recently went through this dillema myself. In the end, I could not justify the price of CS4 and picked up a copy of PSE7 for under $80 at the local Costco.

I found this link to be very helpful: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

PSE can simulate masks and I use it all of the time. See http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/qt/layermasktool.htm for more details.

Also, many of the plugs-in written for PS will work in PSE.

This used masks and layers:
    486930079_u7ooS-M.jpg

The worn-out effect in this next one was added in PSE using a onOne plug-in
    497086384_tnkt2-M.jpg

For what it is worth, I've settled on the following tools (for now): Downloader Pro, Lightroom2, Portrait Professional for facial touchup, and PSE7.

Here is an example of Portrait Professional:
    Before:
    497351912_Q7DfS-M.jpg

After. PP was used to remove the blemishes (took about 2 minutes) and PSE to add the vintage look:
    497085643_MZ8Di-M.jpg
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook