Self family portrait.

patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited April 1, 2009 in People
My Mother-in-law gave me a new a set of Pocket Wizards as a gift last weekend. All she asked in return was that we try to get a family portrait. She wanted us to use the truck for a backdrop.
498188289_AJGNo-L.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I reaaaaally like it. And great job picking everyone's clothing so they match.... but don't match. Well done.
  • patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Cute.

Could you have metered off the sky and then used your strobes for some fill? The blown sky detracts from the otherwise great portrait.
    edited March 26, 2009
    I would have loved to meter off the sky and then use strobes, but I don't have strobes.
    Thanks
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    :D I love that you used the truck as a backdrop. Very nice. Works well and I like everyones pose. If the sky is an issue you can always add one.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I would have loved to meter off the sky and then use strobes, but I don't have strobes.
    Thanks

Sorry, Patsy. When you mentioned she gave you Pocket Wizrds, I assumed that these were to wirelessly fire your strobes. My bad. rolleyes1.gif

Am I correct that you are using them as a wireless remote control for your camera??
    edited March 26, 2009
    Yes they are to wireless control the camera. Strobes are on my list of things to get soon.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Looks nice to me. I might crop the top and right side a bit (even if it means cutting off part of the truck) though.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Very cute photo, love it. Agree about the clothing, well chosen ... I guess the sky can be fixed in photoshop thumb.gif

clap.gif
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I like the punch of the main subject and the immediately surrounding environment (as well as the arrangement of the individuals & the truck). The blown sky adds-compliments-blends to the subject providing the overall scene but maintains the viewers attention on the family, and has both unusual & natural appeal. A blue sky with nice clouds would be of no benefit here IMO. I would however, consider cropping a bit off the top & the green clipping-artifact noticeable in the tree viewers right could use some help. On the people a little reflected light (not necessarily strobe) may have been a consideration too.

I think it's hip and somewhat retro!

Take care,
    - Deanna
    edited March 26, 2009
    "I think it's hip and somewhat retro!"

Thats what I was going for!!!
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    What a great picture! love the truck and the colors. Everyone looks great! The blown out sky does not bother me AT all as the colors guided my eyes right to the family. Great job!clap.gif
    edited March 27, 2009
    I re-cropped the picture. I am thinking about ordering it in a 12X18. This would be the crop for that size.
    499959388_sRBei-L-1.jpg
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Very nice....fun....and "not an everyday portrait. I like it very much!

thumb.gif

Even without strobes, you obviously used a tripod right?

-You could have.....
    -Taken this shot and then...
    -Taken several frames "extra"....even without the people in the frame....and metered more for the sky/ background.
    -You could have then "stolen" the sky from one of those other exposures for this shot...and put the two images together in photoshop using layers...and a mask. Its really an easy technique.....but you HAVE to have that one frame exposed for the sky....in addition to this one.
    edited March 28, 2009
    I didn't even think about doing that. Maybe next time.
    edited March 28, 2009
    I didn't even think about doing that. Maybe next time.

It would be a bit of "work" on your part in photoshop.....but is surely an option for next time.

I like your crop......maybe you should leave a tad more room by the toes on the left. Depending on how you matte or frame this....they could get nipped.
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I have a gradiant blue filter in PSP that helps in this situation. Its by NIK...Anyways here is a quick go at it.

iF98FCADB-DCC3-43EA-A6FB-7B4BD5FD475E.jpg

If you want me to take it down let me know.....

If you like send me a PM with a link to the original.
    Jon
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    [Nice Shot

You can select the sky in ps and town it down a bit.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Nice concept and I think you executed it well. Your getting some great advice here about how to work in the sky, even though I still like it without but it would be nice to look at it both ways.

The one thing I would have done differently right away is have the gentleman pull his knee up to his chest and this would have allowed you to frame the photo with a tighter crop, helping to minimize the dead space. However, I see your alternative crop did a pretty nice job of that.

Nice image.
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks again for all the tips everyone. I have played with the sky a few times and it seems to take away from the feel I was going for when I PS a sky in. I know everyone doesn't agree but I kinda like my blown out sky in this one.
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks again for all the tips everyone. I have played with the sky a few times and it seems to take away from the feel I was going for when I PS a sky in. I know everyone doesn't agree but I kinda like my blown out sky in this one.

Well, my suggestion wasn't intended to diminish the quality of what you have her...its a great family portrait. I only offered it as an option to try next time you are in a similar situation. It would look a bit odd with a perfectly exposed blue sky back there....but maybe....just a little detail and color would have looked okay.

I bet this on looks great printed large and framed!thumb.gif
    edited April 1, 2009
    I know thats not how it was intended. I didn't mean to come off harsh, I had a two year old pulling at me to go play. I do plan on using the methods that where suggested in the future. I am really good at blowing out the sky when I don't want to.