My Dogs - Shots From my New Lens

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited March 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Thanks to suggestions from Ziggy and others in the equipment forum, I picked up a Nikkor 50mm/1.8 lens a couple of days ago. I've tried it on 2 occasions so far, with mixed results. I had plenty of light outdoors but when trying to shoot at lower apertures (Aperture priority) I was forced to raise the ISO. I was probably exposing on the wrong part of the scene. And don't ask why I had a -1.3 exposure comp--it's probably that I forgot to reset the bracketing from some HDR shots!

Overall, I'm happy with the results. Here are a few indoor shots of my dogs for your enjoyment.

1. Josie, with Sepia treatment (indoors, no flash, ISO 800, f3.2, 1/200, exp comp -1.3)
499302237_dYKR5-L.jpg

2. Darby (indoors, no flash, ISO 800, f3.2, 1/60, exp comp -1.3)
499303934_HNrGY-L.jpg

3. Josie (same, with f2.5/ 1/160)
499303166_GBW5U-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    That watermark is very, very distracting. At first, it seems like something in the photo you should have removed. Josie looks like she has steroid-induced whiskers. Can't you find something that suits your needs that doesn't extend over the entire image?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    The comp, lighting and pose on #1 are quite good Lauren thumb.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Howdy Lauren,

Nice looking Hounds, really like the 1st image as well, the one of Darby isn't his best side, maybe a different composition or perspective, he's a good looking boy !!!? The 3rd image shows pretty clear and sharp eyes with a neat expression.

I don't care for Watermarks either, I think they really distract from viewing the image, and not necessary, especially for images of only 61K to 167K.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Nice set........The first one is really well done........The composition thumb.gif

azzaro
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. #1 is my favorite, so I'm glad some other folks liked it also. As for Darby (#2): she is a she, although you can not tell from the pic! :D I should have said that I was mainly pleased with the clarity of her eye. I do have better shots of her in my gallery.

I apologize for the watermark. I use a less intrusive one now but I inadvertently loaded the wrong images in this thread. I typically don't even use watermarks when I post for critiques. For those who commented on the watermark, thanks for catching it.

Have a nice day--Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com