The Plantation Guards______________IR

PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
edited March 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Howdy All,

One from the Southern Louisiana Trip, Houmas House Plantation.

108249308.jpg

Shot with modded D70S, Thanks for looking.
Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Hi Craig,

Great capture on this one. This shot really emphasizes the design of these old Southern homes....the way they were built to provide a cool environment in the hot months.....with the large, open porches keeping the sun out of the house and helping the wind to swirl around the structure.
    Well done.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    I live not 3 miles from Houmas House and have shot many pictures there; but never seen it from that angle/prospective. For those of you that would like to see what they look like in the Spring.

102756441_5YxR6-L.jpg

Thanks for that picture. Truly beautiful...

BTW.

Not to hijack your thread, but here is a little history of Houmas House.

102750382_4hvQh-L.jpg

102766445_S3WjV-L.jpg
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Hi Craig,

Great capture on this one. This shot really emphasizes the design of these old Southern homes....the way they were built to provide a cool environment in the hot months.....with the large, open porches keeping the sun out of the house and helping the wind to swirl around the structure.
    Well done.

Tom

Howdy Tom,

Thanks very much, as you well know, they are such wonderful examples of great Architecture, and like you said, they can be very cool even on the hottest days, lessons we maybe needing.

Thanks again, Take Care,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited March 26, 2009
    nickatnite wrote:
    I live not 3 miles from Houmas House and have shot many pictures there; but never seen it from that angle/prospective. For those of you that would like to see what they look like in the Spring.
    Howdy Nickatnite,

Thanks very much, it is indeed a Beautiful and Wonderful place. We were so lucky to have been invited to a Wedding right before Christmas, and had the evening of a lifetime there, so warm and inviting folks, and we were invited to Tour the Home after Dinner, what a place, so much History but they made sure that everyone knew it was a Home and we were Guests in that Home, so by the time we left we felt like Family:D We loved Houmas House so much that we drove back out the next day on our way to NO to visit and view it during the Day light.

Such wonderful people, they have a great Chef, and we loved the Kids (Hounds, he said lovingly<g>) we didn't get to see the Twins, but did see Bo out for a run.

Your a lucky man for living that close, we can't wait to go back.

Great shots you posted, so many wonderful photo ops there.

Here's a few more :Dhttp://www.pbase.com/ckirk/_houmas_house_louisiana_dec_2008

Kindest Regards,

Craig</g>
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Hi Craig
    This is very nice but the images at your pbase link are spectacular. What a wonderful example of southern grandeur. I got a kick out of the sterno cans under the pot in the massive old fireplace. Also what in the world is the story behind that rusty old steel boat (DSC3666) ?? That would make an interesting post.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy All,

One from the Southern Louisiana Trip, Houmas House Plantation.

Shot with modded D70S, Thanks for looking.

Nice one Craig clap.gif
    I much prefer the IR shot of the Property than the colour versions.

Looks to be a very interesting place to explore thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 29, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Craig
    This is very nice but the images at your pbase link are spectacular. What a wonderful example of southern grandeur. I got a kick out of the sterno cans under the pot in the massive old fireplace. Also what in the world is the story behind that rusty old steel boat (DSC3666) ?? That would make an interesting post.

Howdy John,

Thanks very much, it was just such a wonderful place to see and shoot at. There were things at every turn of the head, they have really put together a superb collection of Old Southern Items.

107718297.jpg

The Rusty thing is supposedly a "Civil War Era" submarine, have tried to find out more about it, but so far haven't had much luck. I may have to write Mr. Kelly or get Nickatnite to find out for Me.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited March 29, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Nice one Craig clap.gif
    I much prefer the IR shot of the Property than the colour versions.

Looks to be a very interesting place to explore thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Howdy Skippy,

Thanks very much, so nice to hear from you:D

This part of Louisiana is one of my favorite places to go, and of course the Food and Hospitality is unbeatable.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas