Options

batch EXIF editor

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited March 31, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi everyone...

Just wondering if anyone has found a free exif editor. I forgot to set my clock for the time change...wanting to bump everything 1 hour up.

-Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Hi everyone...

Just wondering if anyone has found a free exif editor. I forgot to set my clock for the time change...wanting to bump everything 1 hour up.

-Kevin

I would just use LR2 for this but here are some other options: http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

Worst case, download the 30-day trial of LR and use it to change the time.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    While LR allows for editing/replacement of all fields, using it for a batch operation would mean you would end up settting every image you shot since daylight savings time started to the same timestamp.

Instead you should look at exiftool. It's a Perl library that's been compiled into a command-line executable for Windows and Mac. Adjusting the timestamp for a directory of photos would be as simple as:

(Assuming images in a directory named DIR)

> exiftool.exe -AllDates+=1 DIR

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    While LR allows for editing/replacement of all fields, using it for a batch operation would mean you would end up settting every image you shot since daylight savings time started to the same timestamp.

I don't think this is the case. I can select a set of files (all the ones that need to have the time adjusted) in the library module and then go to Metadata-> Edit Capture Time and use the Shift by Set number of hours (1 hour in this case). At least I can do this in LR2.3.

If I didn't have LR, then exiftool is a great way to go.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Mike J wrote:
    I don't think this is the case. I can select a set of files (all the ones that need to have the time adjusted) in the library module and then go to Metadata-> Edit Capture Time and use the Shift by Set number of hours (1 hour in this case). At least I can do this in LR2.3.

If I didn't have LR, then exiftool is a great way to go.

Thanks for fact-checking my a**, Mike. I was too lazy to fire up LR and check myself. :-}

(It's a tad slow on this little Dell laptop.)

Nice that LR does the right thing here. Nice work, Wade. ;-}
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2009
    Thanks guys...I'm going to give that a shot this weekend.

I've always wanted to try out LR.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    I actually could not get it to work. When I mouse over a CR2 in LR, it shows the time change, when I open the file up with the Canon Digital Professional is does not show the time change.

Is LR going to let me change the JPEG exif? Maybe I'm missing something here.....ne_nau.gif I thought I was pretty adobe literate....but LR has got me fooled on this one.

30 day trial? no batch feature?
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Howdy, folks.

Mike is right. In LR2, it's simple as pie to change the capture time or dates on single or batches of images. (And I'm pretty sure the free trial is 100% functional. I started with it, and it all seemed to work.)

But there's a catch. The changes will be visible in LR, but it seems the changes are made only in the LR index, and will not be visible when viewing in other apps.

To make the changes visible in other apps, LR must be told to apply the metadata changes it has indexed to the the actual file in some way. You can apply these changes in an XMP sidecar file or to the file itself.

To set these preferences, go to Edit>Catalog Settings. Click on the Metadata tab. You want to make sure the "Automatically write changes into XMP" box is checked.

You will also see a box marked "Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files." Check this if you want to change your original files.

In any case, after you've followed Mike's steps, while the files are still selected, hit Ctrl+S to push your changes to the files.

If you are writing your changes to XMP files, you made need to change your settings in CanonDP so it will read them. I use Adobe Bridge, and the default setting for files with XMP files is "Ignore". I had to go into Preferences to change it to "Read XMP files". Your application may be the same.

But, if you saved your time changes to the original file (above), they should be visible regardless of your settings for XMP file handling.

When cross-editing on two or more platforms, the file handling preferences must be set in each so that they will talk to each other.

The bottom line is, LR2 will batch process time and date changes. And it's very easy.

But to get other apps to see the changes, the file handling preferences must be set properly in both apps.

(Disclaimer: While I sincerely hope the above information is accurate, there is a good chance I made some of it up. If I were you, I'd hit the help files, and get the real skinny.)
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    DeathStaplerDeathStapler Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2009
    Here is a completely free editor

http://www.photome.de/

MOD EDIT: There was script following the link which I edited out

Support of Exif tags (Specification v2.21)
    Exif data will be written by the digital camera for each photo with the parameters of the camera. This allows you to see all the used settings, right down to the sensor temperature when the shot was taken.

Support of IPTC-NAA tags (Specification v4.1)
    IPTC-NAA data is used by agencies to save keywords, comments and copyright notes.

Reading support of ICC profile data (Specification v4.2.0.0)
    ICC (International Color Consortium) profiles are used for color management.

Support JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, Digital Negative RAW and all common camera RAW file types
    As well as the popular JPEG format, PhotoME also shows files which are saved in the TIFF, GIF and PNG formats, and the following camera RAW file types:
    Canon RAW v2 (CR2), Canon Thumbnail (THM), Epson (ERF), FujiFilm (RAF), Hasselblad (3FR), Kodak (KDC, DCR, K25), Konica/Minolta (MRW), Mamiya (MEF), Nikon (NEF), Olympus (ORF), Panasonic and Leica (RAW, RW2), Pentax (PEF), Sony (ARW, SRF and SR2), Creo Leaf Capture (MOS) and the new open RAW format Digital Negative (DNG).
    PhotoME also supports Windows HD Photo and Media Photo (HDP, WDP), ICC profile files (ICC, ICM), Adobe DNG Camera Profile (DCP), FotoStation text templates (IPT), Nikon IPTC Data files (NID), the Opanda Exif template format (EXIF), as well as 2 of PhotoME's own formats for the export of Exif and IPTC/NAA-data.

Support of Maker Notes of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, FujiFilm, Olympus, Panasonic, Leica, Konica/Minolta, Sigma, Sony, Agfa, Casio, Concord, Epson, Ricoh, Sanyo and partial support for Creative, DoCoMo, GE (General Imaging) and Mamiya cameras
    Maker Notes are special Exif tags which are used by the manufacturers to save manufacturer- and camera-specific data.
    e.g. informations about the lens used on DSLR cameras

Support of manufacturer-defined data formats, e.g. PRINT Image Matching (PrintIM), Nikon Capture settings, Panasonic debug informationen
    Some manufacturers store data independed of the Exif format, in an own, not public documented format. Some of these formats are also manufacturer spanning (like PRINT Image Matching from Epson).

Visually show AF points
    PhotoME will use the auto focus informations saved in the maker notes to visually show the used AF points.

Support of GPS data and locating in Google Earth, on Google Maps and 13 other mapping services
    If GPS data are available, PhotoME will be able to locate the spot with just one click on Google Earth, in Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, Windows Live Search Maps, OpenStreetMap, Flash Earth, Multimap, MSN Maps & Directions, ACME Mapper, GeaBios, Geody, Wikipedia World, Panoramio, Flickr or the NASA World Wind software.

Integration in the Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox, ThunderBird, SeaMonkey, Netscape 9, Flock and Opera
    PhotoME can be integrated in the context menu of your web browser. With a right-click on any website image, you can open the image directly in PhotoME.

Quick Launch buttons to start linked graphic applications
    This allow you to open the graphic file with just one click in any graphic applications which is installed on your computer.

Support to display Thumbnail images
    Many digital cameras saves smaller preview images with every photo, which will be shown in PhotoME.
    Additionally, PhotoME has basic RAW converter functionality to automatically generate a preview of RAW files which don't include preview images. This RAW converter supports Panasonic (DMC-L1, DMC-LX1, DMC-LX2, DMC-FZ8, DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ30, DMC-FZ50), Leica (Digilux 2, D-LUX2, D-LUX3, V-LUX 1) and Olympus (E-1, E-300, C5050Z, C5060WZ, C70Z,C7000Z, C8080WZ, SP550UZ) cameras.

Histogram function with single channel view
    PhotoME displays a histogram which allow you to disable and enable every single color channel. This gives you a simple option to see whether a picture is overexposed or has a color fault.

Explorer integration
    PhotoME can be integrated in the context menu of the Windows Explorer (32-bit version) - allowing you to open a specific file in PhotoME with just 2 clicks.

File Drag&Drop out of the Explorer
    By dragging a file to the PhotoME window, it will directly show the data of this file.

File browser
    Thanks to the easy to use file tree, you can switch between your images effortlessly.

Text output
    The text output function allow you to export the meta data unformatted, for conversion to HTML or BBCode-formatted text.

Import & Export of Exif- and IPTC-NAA-data for later import
    This option allows you to recover meta data if removed by a graphic editing software.
    This function is currently only available for JPEG files.

Online update function
    PhotoME has an build-in online update function, which allows you to simply upgrade to install new program versions.

Descriptions to many Exif and IPTC-NAA tags
    The most tags (fields) are described with additional content information.

XML based
    All configuration data is saved in XML files, allowing you to simply extend the data base.

Multilingual (English, German, Spanish, Czech, Dutch, French, Italian and Turkish)
    PhotoME is completely multilingual and because of it's XML base can be easily extended to include more languages.

Compatible to Windows 98 SE and above
    PhotoME runs in many operating systems, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP and the new Windows Vista.
    Additionally, PhotoME was tested in Ubuntu Linux 7.04 using Wine 0.9.33 and MacOS X using Parallels Desktop and Microsoft VirtualPC.