Options

20D kit lens question

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in Cameras
Hi All,
First, I did a search on these forums and didn't find what I was looking for.
Now, I'm looking at a 20D purchase in the very near future and am looking at B&H for the purchase. I'm mostly interested in the 100mm f2.8 macro, but want the kit lens as a general, inexpensive lens.

To the point, they have a $70 difference in their 18-55mm kit lens. The only difference I'm seeing is that one says USM and the other does not, but both are labeled as Canon lenses. I looked at Canon's site and I didn't see a non-USM 18-55mm lens:dunno.

Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    If you're looking at the same thing I am, the first and more expensive listing also includes a 2GB flash card. Total is $1,599.95 before rebate. Is that what you're seeing on this page?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    It's the ones below the $1599 one
    wxwax wrote:
    If you're looking at the same thing I am, the first and more expensive listing also includes a 2GB flash card. Total is $1,599.95 before rebate. Is that what you're seeing on this page?
    Hi Sid,
    It's the ones just below it for $1469 and $1399. Neither has the flash card, just body and kit lens.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 1, 2005
    Hi All,
    First, I did a search on these forums and didn't find what I was looking for.
    Now, I'm looking at a 20D purchase in the very near future and am looking at B&H for the purchase. I'm mostly interested in the 100mm f2.8 macro, but want the kit lens as a general, inexpensive lens.

To the point, they have a $70 difference in their 18-55mm kit lens. The only difference I'm seeing is that one says USM and the other does not, but both are labeled as Canon lenses. I looked at Canon's site and I didn't see a non-USM 18-55mm lensne_nau.gif.

Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hiya Chris and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Nice to see another friendly STFer here :D

I think you have it right. The USM version is more expensive and I haven't seen any standalone non-USM 18-55's being sold anywhere headscratch.gif I think Canon may have stopped producing the non-USM version ne_nau.gif I picked up the kit in Nov and only the non-USM 18-55 was available then. It is not a bad lens and I don't know if the USM version is worth the extra $. The optics are the same, but you probably get a touch faster focusing (and maybe it's a bit quieter too). Either way, this is a nice inexpensive wide angle option. I don't use it often, being the tele sort of guy I am, but when I need wide I don't hesitate to use it. Also, it works pretty well with the internal flash for people shots within 12-15 feet :D

The first 8 images in this gallery were taken with the non-USM kit lens. The first 4 images are uneditted originals.

You are gonna love this camera thumb.gif Good luck and welcome again.

Steve (SMC2002)
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    My Conclusion
    After doing some more research, I can only conclude that I'm not the only confused person on this topic. Since the kit lens is only my starter and I really don't care about the USM for this lens, I'm going to buy the lesser priced 20D and use the savings to buy a Kenko extension tube set for the 100mm macro. If the lens comes as a USM great, if not, no problem. Thanks Sid for looking into this, but I'm going to purchase today.

Thanks again,

• Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Good to be here
    Hi Steve,
    I have noticed a lot of friendly names here from the other forum :D which is why I'm here. I just placed the order for the lesser priced camera and I know I'll be happy with that lens, for now. I checked out your site and I think the lens does a decent job for the price. The colors in your autum shot are quite striking. I'm mostly interested in the macro capability of the canon 100mm lens, so I bought that with the extension tubes. I'm hoping that I don't get lens happy with this camera. I have used a 50mm prime, a 70-200mm Zoom plus a 2X adapter for my SLR for many years.

Great to be here and thanks for the welcome,

• Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Just saying hello to another friendly STF-er
    Hi Steve,
    I have noticed a lot of friendly names here from the other forum :D which is why I'm here. I just placed the order for the lesser priced camera and I know I'll be happy with that lens, for now. I checked out your site and I think the lens does a decent job for the price. The colors in your autum shot are quite striking. I'm mostly interested in the macro capability of the canon 100mm lens, so I bought that with the extension tubes. I'm hoping that I don't get lens happy with this camera. I have used a 50mm prime, a 70-200mm Zoom plus a 2X adapter for my SLR for many years.

Hi Chris !
    Good to see you here.

Bye,
    Peter Dumont
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Welcome, Chris!
    Hi Steve,
    I have noticed a lot of friendly names here from the other forum :D which is why I'm here. ....
    Very glad to see you here!thumb.gif
    I hope to save enough pennies this year to afford 20D, at least by XMas:-)
    Cheers, mate!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    Hi Peter and Nikolai
    I was doing a little research and came upon some threads recently from names I recognized. I did a little reading and liked what I saw here. I'm still checking things out here, but I'm really liking the ones I'm running into. Seems many of the ones I hold in high regard are already here, but unfortunately not all. I see so many friendly faces here that I think I have a new home. I was happy to see both of you here as I really enjoy your posts. I just saw Yuri's work in the portrait side so I won't have to go into pretty face withdrawals:D.

I look forward to sharing with you all here,
    Chris