First shoot with 5D (aka Harry's 4th Birthday Shoot)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in People
Can't believe how time flies....sorry I haven't been around more :( they say those of us who are blessed with our day jobs are doing three peoples' worth! :rolleyes :cry Miss you guys!!!

Curious to see if you guys see a big difference with the new camera over my previous Harry shoots. All natural (golden hour) light with the 85 1.8.

1. The greatest thing about raising kids is they remind you literally and figuratively to stop and smell the "roses". :lust SOOC with WB adj.
499644488_tKFc7-L.jpg

499662364_eZiVM-L.jpg

3. mmmmm....bokeh.
499662615_HTaYZ-L.jpg

4. HEY MOMMY!!!
499644961_YwpEk-L.jpg

499628404_GL2NL-L.jpg

6. I don't know what that post is, but we do live in "IND" :rofl???
499628621_dfzAi-L.jpg

7. good thing it's too early for chiggers!
499629166_Te49T-L.jpg

8. A little soft...but it's all relative (right?) :D
499644821_anfJb-L.jpg

9. Swear I didn't do anything to his eyes in post!
499630098_C9ttW-L.jpg

10. And mommy's personal wall-hanger (would you have chosen this one, Scott!?)
499661672_zepsX-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    nice series and out of that series....yes I would have chosen the last one as a wall hanger.......
    so your liking Full Frame??????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    nice series and out of that series....yes I would have chosen the last one as a wall hanger.......
    so your liking Full Frame??????

Thanks Art!

I am still getting used to it. I love the depth of the images, the color rendering and the noise is well, let's just say all those reviews I read saying the 40D was on par with the 5D were misguided. :D That said, the response time (fps as well as AF) is noticeably slower than the 40D and that's taking some adjusting. I'm workin' it out...hopefully in time for busy season ramping up!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Great shots, the last one is definitely an instant classic!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks Art!

I am still getting used to it. I love the depth of the images, the color rendering and the noise is well, let's just say all those reviews I read saying the 40D was on par with the 5D were misguided. :D That said, the response time (fps as well as AF) is noticeably slower than the 40D and that's taking some adjusting. I'm workin' it out...hopefully in time for busy season ramping up!
    Ha ha... and I was thinking of going back to a crop sensor. I have had the 5D for a year now and some of the features of the 50D sound pretty good to me... as well as the different lens options you can use. The slow focus drives me batty sometimes (more batty than normal anyway)But I do love the reduced noise capabilities. But of course I always want a switch about the time my current camera becomes second nature... And I have the same problem with shoes.... One thing about the slow focus... it gives your flash more time to recycle. :D

Lynne these are adorable. I loove that first shot in the blossoms. Makes me dream of spring. He sure is a cute little stylish guy. And I love the last one too. In #5... what a stud iloveyou.gif I bet you just love the stuffin' out of that kid.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    You threw this post up only late last night and I already feel late to the party :D
    urbanaries wrote:
    Can't believe how time flies....sorry I haven't been around more :( they say those of us who are blessed with our day jobs are doing three peoples' worth! rolleyes1.gif :cry Miss you guys!!!
    Believe me when I say that you are dearly missed by more than just your favorite stalkeriloveyou.giflol4
    urbanaries wrote:
    Would you have chosen this one, Scott!?
    499661672_zepsX-S.jpg
    Oh, yeah - no question - this is the pick of the litter!thumb.gif And, OMG ... is he growing up fast or what? I predict he's gonna have a set of "rugged good looks" features that, in a year or two, are just going to drive the ladies crazy!
    Ha ha... and I was thinking of going back to a crop sensor. I have had the 5D for a year now and some of the features of the 50D sound pretty good to me... as well as the different lens options you can use.
    If we can hook up in May, I'll bring mine along and you can play with it for a bit.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Could he be any cuter??!!!??? iloveyou.gif

I don't actually remember having been around for previous Harry shoots, so all I can do is drool over this one. Light, posing, crops... yummmmmmmmmm :D
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Very nice!
    These are beautiful. You did a great job. He is andsome and your work is lovely. You should be proud of these. And you have been missed here!

Um there is no turning back from the Full Frame Sensor Flu. I tried to use my 20d as a back up and two camera shoot at an event last month and it was hell. The difference in the controls was just enough to throw me off. The noise was awful (dark dark receiption room) Actually, I did use it for an proposal/engagement shoot and only because the groom to be didn't follow directions about where to propose. It saved my behind. But, regardless. It caused me to go get the 5dMark 2 and now my 5d is the backup. I think the sprial of new gear because has to stop sometime, doesn't it?headscratch.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    All of them beautiful shots, Lynne. Yes, the camera maketh the photographer!mwink.gifD

Happy Birthday to Harry! Still looking like Mr Philosopher!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited March 28, 2009
    You threw this post up only late last night and I already feel late to the party :D
    Believe me when I say that you are dearly missed by more than just your favorite stalkeriloveyou.giflol4
    Oh, yeah - no question - this is the pick of the litter!thumb.gif And, OMG ... is he growing up fast or what? I predict he's gonna have a set of "rugged good looks" features that, in a year or two, are just going to drive the ladies crazy!
    More than just my favorite stalker? I have more than one? rolleyes1.gifwink

And you're right....he looks so much older than last year! 3 wasn't hard for old mom, but this one... he sure has lost all trace of "baby".

Hope your son is doing well.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited March 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Could he be any cuter??!!!??? iloveyou.gif

I don't actually remember having been around for previous Harry shoots, so all I can do is drool over this one. Light, posing, crops... yummmmmmmmmm :D

Whoops! Here you go: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=783779#post783779

My gosh he really has lost the baby face!

Thanks so much for your compliments, divamum! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Oh my gosh, the whole set is absolutely adorable but 1, 9 & 10 are just wonderful!! iloveyou.gifclap.gif What a cutie!

Love your processing on them too, FUN iloveyou.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Gorgeous! There's just something so delicious about these shots. Hope to see more of you around here.

So, chiggers are already out here in Texas, as I discovered after my shoot last Sunday. Yeah, I laid in the grass.

Caroline
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Gorgeous! There's just something so delicious about these shots. Hope to see more of you around here.

So, chiggers are already out here in Texas, as I discovered after my shoot last Sunday. Yeah, I laid in the grass.

Caroline

I had a case last year. I made the kids I was shooting spray down with Deep Woods Off. I didnt do it myself since I was wearing long sleeves/pants......I paid the price.

I keep a can in the truck now!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    3,6,8,9,10....thumb.gif

Many of these have that....classic...undated look. I like that.

I came oooh so close to getting a 5D2 a few months back when I got the 50D. I just wasn't ready to buy new glass to go along with it. Maybe next time!

Harry is growing so fast. Sheesh.....it was only a few years ago (it seems) that mine were this age. Breath it all in Lynne. He will be grown in a flash.iloveyou.gif
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Stunning & what a handsome little guy =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Incredibly beautiful photographs!!! I'm sure some of it can be attributed to the camera, but your skill, your eye and the pp are awesome!
  • ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    He is such a handsome little man, great job with the shots!
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries