Options

One light, one model

codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited March 28, 2009 in People
I've been teaching a class called "One Light Wonders" and have been experimenting with pushing this style so I called up a long time friend to sit down in the studio and play.

Basically you only allowed one light source and can manipulate the light anyway you please with reflectors, diffusers, flags, gobos, etc. and try to push what one light can do.

Enjoy, and yes C&C is always welcome.

499198905_9TuZo-XL.jpg

499698630_bPL99-XL.jpg

499708360_HRQ6w-XL.jpg

499697851_GqFdA-X2.jpg
-Chris :)
http://simplyphotostudio.com
http://decayedbeauty.com

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    I like #1 a lot!
    As to the last one - I'm purely amazed: is this one light? Man, you're good!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    No. 1 if my favourite.

I love the idea. Most people would normally only use 1 light source for their photo's anyway... the sun.

Might take this idea into the studio myself, although I did try it out on family member about a year ago...

495850461_4FBor-M-2.jpg

495849776_G7sQa-M-3.jpg

495849747_MqmsV-M-3.jpg

495849713_uT4Ab-M-2.jpg

495850393_aKaF7-M-3.jpg

Michael
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like #1 a lot!
    As to the last one - I'm purely amazed: is this one light? Man, you're good!
    15524779-Ti.gif - couldn't agree more with this statement. Very nice. Can you provide diagram and/or strobist info on the last one?
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    499198905_9TuZo-XL.jpg

bowdown.gifthumbiloveyou.gif

Malte
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Very wonderful!!!! Her skin looks awesome. I am awed by the last one as well. That is so incredible!
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    bowdown.gifthumbiloveyou.gif

+1

beautiful
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    MPCMPC Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Beautiful photos. No.1 is stunning!

M
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    All around stunning work. I love 1 and 3, although I'd rather see 3 oriented as portrait. I keep turning my head sideways to look:)

Caroline
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Were you using a flash or a different kind of light? It seems so soft... Maybe a softbox too?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    SpydawebbSpydawebb Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Those are awesome. #1 is by far my favorite.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Stunning all round! I too would love to know what you're doing with that one light in the last one - very impressive! thumb.gif
  • Options
    codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Wow, thanks everyone I'm excited from all this response.

The first images were shot using a 300W strobe with a 24-36 softbox with two inner panels and a grid on the exterior. It was maybe 5 feet from the model and I was shooting around f2.8-3.5 depending how I moved things around.

The last image was interesting the say the least. I have a 55X79 inch softbox with a neat little configuration I hacked together for the shoot. I removed the panels of half the softbox and turned it in landscape orientation so it would hit the backdrop and the model at the same time. I double up the lining on the one side and placed a flag that protruded slightly from the from of the softbox to basically turn it into two light, one diffused and one bare. It was definitely different to say the least but it worked and the effect could have much more easily been done with two lights so it's not something I'd ever do on a regular basis.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2009
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Wow, thanks everyone I'm excited from all this response.

The first images were shot using a 300W strobe with a 24-36 softbox with two inner panels and a grid on the exterior. It was maybe 5 feet from the model and I was shooting around f2.8-3.5 depending how I moved things around.

The last image was interesting the say the least. I have a 55X79 inch softbox with a neat little configuration I hacked together for the shoot. I removed the panels of half the softbox and turned it in landscape orientation so it would hit the backdrop and the model at the same time. I double up the lining on the one side and placed a flag that protruded slightly from the from of the softbox to basically turn it into two light, one diffused and one bare. It was definitely different to say the least but it worked and the effect could have much more easily been done with two lights so it's not something I'd ever do on a regular basis.

Thanks for the explanation! I suspected something like that, but definitely wasn't sure. It's great to know that it worked, though, in case I ever find myself in a situation that all my lights but one are gone/broke, yet I do need to pull off a HK setup:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation! I suspected something like that, but definitely wasn't sure. It's great to know that it worked, though, in case I ever find myself in a situation that all my lights but one are gone/broke, yet I do need to pull off a HK setup:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Ummmm Nik, you own 150 lights.... headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Great lighting, super shots. Did you use Portrature on her?
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Beautiful, beautiful .... and BEAUTIFUL. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Wow, I am amazed. I have no studio or lights, you have inspired me. these are wonderful.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2009
    kwaichi wrote:
    i took these at my friend's house.....
    These are sure nice, but why hijack? ne_nau.gif You'd get more comments in your own thread also deal.gif
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Great Series thumb.gif
    Does your friend model for other photographers?

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 28, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    These are sure nice, but why hijack? ne_nau.gif You'd get more comments in your own thread also deal.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Unless the OP specifically asks people to post similar shots, it is better form not to. It can get confusing, too--it is not always clear which pics latter comments are about. deal.gif
  • Options
    kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    opps.........sorry didn't mean to do that. My bad.
    Nikolai wrote:
  • Options
    kwaichikwaichi Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    it's removed now.......
    Nikolai wrote: