Johnny

chaswes5chaswes5 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 10, 2009 in People
High contrast B&w. Comments solicited. Shot with D700 and Tamron SP AF 28-75 F/2.8 XR DI.

JOHNNY_bw800.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    wave.gif - Welcome!!

Comments:
    • Focal length used was too short. This caused some serious perspective distortion. I believe the arms appear much larger, with respect to his head, then they should.
    • The light (flash) is a bit too close to the model - you have some significant light fall-off left to right.
    • That light might/should have been a bit higher as well - but side lighting is sometimes very effective.
    • Really need to somehow seperate his hair and the side of his face (his left side) from the background. Same for his left shoulder. Lighting him from behind or throwing a bit of light onto the background would answer this. A simple whiteboard reflector on the camera-right side of him would provide an answer.
    • I, personally, like to see a catchlight in the eyes - but that's personal taste and doesn't always fit the subject.
    • Posing, is/was it your intent to make the pose a bit stand-offish - the crossed arms is a very strong body language communicator.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Clothing was his choice but his bare arms pulll attention away from where it should be, the face. Also on my laptop it looks a bit solarized.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I think a different color shirt/backdrop would have helped alot.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • chaswes5chaswes5 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    And what part of high contrast B&W you didn't understand?