Dawn in Seattle

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited April 1, 2009 in Landscapes
I took these this morning. I was hoping for a good dawn/sunrise, and the cloud cover looked promising, but it was just a little too strong. So, not the best shots I've ever taken at Kerry Park, but certainly better than the shots I would have taken had I slept in :D

1. Panorama (Click for 1/3 size version):

499951193_GuhJk-XL.jpg

#2: Through the sculpture.

499949646_K3jtd-L.jpg

#3: At this point, the light had turned to crap, so I was just goofing around with the focus.

499949934_vDYXV-L.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Would love to see the first with less sky and less tree to the left....don't know if that's possible.....really like the colors.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Truly amazing work as always ! mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Nice series, Ron. Like em all! Gee, I wonder if you live and work in Seattle? mwink.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    lol3.gif I'm sorry to hear the light didn't explode into perfection at the Sweet Spot because I know how frustrating that is, but it looks like you had fun shooting there anyway.

Is there a formula? Clouds + angle + humidity = money shot, maybe?
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Hey Ron- Love #2 and #3 (#3 especially).

Nice work buddy!

Cheers,
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    #2 is by far the strongest. I'd personally love to see the Needle centered in the sculpture's opening since it's THE icon of the Seattle skyline (but I know that would clip the building in the right opening a bit). A cool shot.

#1 runs downhill towards the right..
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Nice series Ron!! I really like the 2nd shot!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    These are nice! I like the second one the most, but as someone said above, I'd prefer if the Space Needle was centered. It looks like you were trying to include the Washington Mutual building on the right so such a composition may not have been possible.

It's too difficult for me to wake up early enough to take sunrise shots so I have to give you props for the effort. The only time I can catch a sunrise is in the summer when it's so early that I can just stay up.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Nice series, Ron. Like em all! Gee, I wonder if you live and work in Seattle? mwink.gif

I'm definitely *employed* in Seattle, the "work" part is still up for debate :D
    edited March 31, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif I'm sorry to hear the light didn't explode into perfection at the Sweet Spot because I know how frustrating that is, but it looks like you had fun shooting there anyway.

Is there a formula? Clouds + angle + humidity = money shot, maybe?

The only prerequisite for great light at Kerry Park is that I'm not there taking photos!

It's hard to tell, I normally go there when I'm either a) bored, or b) think there might be potential for some great light, either based on the forecast or looking outside. If it's completely clear, I'll know I'll get Rainier, if there's some cloud cover and no chance for precipitation, then there might be some good colors if the cloud cover isn't too strong. But it's hit or miss. Usually miss.
    edited March 31, 2009
    scole wrote:
    #2 is by far the strongest. I'd personally love to see the Needle centered in the sculpture's opening since it's THE icon of the Seattle skyline (but I know that would clip the building in the right opening a bit). A cool shot.

#1 runs downhill towards the right..

#2: Yeah, I didn't want to clip the WaMu tower. Probably a bad choice.

#1: Curvature of the Earth or bad pano technique. Since the Earth is obviously flat, it's probably the latter.
    edited March 31, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    These are nice! I like the second one the most, but as someone said above, I'd prefer if the Space Needle was centered. It looks like you were trying to include the Washington Mutual building on the right so such a composition may not have been possible.

It's too difficult for me to wake up early enough to take sunrise shots so I have to give you props for the effort. The only time I can catch a sunrise is in the summer when it's so early that I can just stay up.

Sunrise is definitely more difficult (left alone, I would probably go to bed at 5AM and wake up at 1PM every day), but it's worth it, when it gets earlier, it makes it possible to shoot before work on the weekdays.

I often woke up at about 2AM and drove to Rainier for sunrise and then headed into work around 10AM or so. There's no one there on the weekdays compared to the weekends. Plus, you can always catch up on sleep on the drive back, the guard rails are there for a reason.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Sunrise is definitely more difficult (left alone, I would probably go to bed at 5AM and wake up at 1PM every day), but it's worth it, when it gets earlier, it makes it possible to shoot before work on the weekdays.

I often woke up at about 2AM and drove to Rainier for sunrise and then headed into work around 10AM or so. There's no one there on the weekdays compared to the weekends. Plus, you can always catch up on sleep on the drive back, the guard rails are there for a reason.

Wow, that's some serious dedication. I just took a look at your Rainier gallery and I think some of those sunrises were definitely worth getting up for. I love the shots from Tipsoo Lake.

Oh by the way, the Quad is starting to look pretty good. Most of the trees have already begun to bloom.
    edited March 31, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    coscorrosa wrote:

Wow, that's some serious dedication. I just took a look at your Rainier gallery and I think some of those sunrises were definitely worth getting up for. I love the shots from Tipsoo Lake.

Oh by the way, the Quad is starting to look pretty good. Most of the trees have already begun to bloom.

Heh, the dedication is going to work, not going out for photos lol3.gif

Tipsoo is really convenient to get to, and I think more photogenic than the Reflection Lakes near Paradise. I'm just waiting for Chinook Pass to open again so I can go back.

Thanks for the cherry tree update, a co-worker was there on Saturday and they weren't fully out yet, I'll definitely check it out within the next week. Also have some daffodils in Skagit too. And the forecast looks decent for the coast in Olympic National Park this weekend too. No shortage of stuff to shoot around here.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    Sweet shots, Ron. The comp in #2 is really cool. Good creative effort on #3, but it's not your best shot. :D