My First Post...be gentle please...

CathyBCathyB Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
We went wandering to Marshall Texas and they had their old truck advertising the General Store out in front of the business. So what do you think?

3379779526_6f296eba95_o.jpg

Taken with a Nikon D90 and a 18-55 mm lens.

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Marshall, TX. I've been there! Love the old truck, the old brick, the old sign. Very nostalgic looking. Nice shot!
    Welcome to DGrin!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Marshall, TX. I've been there! Love the old truck, the old brick, the old sign. Very nostalgic looking. Nice shot!
    Welcome to DGrin!
    +1 thumb.gif
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Cathy, wonderful shot, great color, nice theme, technically fine, nicely sharp. But....

That front driver's side tire looks like it needs plenty of air... :D

Great first post and image Cathy, welcome, and have tons more fun!

Best,

Nacho
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Cool, cool shot. Welcome to Dgrin! A great first post! And what in the world would ever make you think that we would be anything but gentile? rolleyes1.gif Oh, uh, nevermind. :tiptoe
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin--you'll have fun and learn a lot! This is a terrific first post--nice composition and color, and a great main subject with the truck!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    CathyB wrote:
    We went wandering to Marshall Texas and they had their old truck advertising the General Store out in front of the business. So what do you think?

Taken with a Nikon D90 and a 18-55 mm lens.

Hi there Cathy and Welcome to the Dgrin Forum.

Great shot you've posted here, love the truck!
    Like a step back in time, the paved street

Can't stop looking at the truck rolleyes1.gif I love the colour of it nod.gif

Lovely shot Cathy would make a cool HDR shot too clap.gif
    Enjoy the Forum looking forward to more from you thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Really wonderful image here Cathy. The colors, detail and composition are perfect. Took me on a trip back in time to my boyhood. My grandfather worked in a drugstore/soda/ice cream shop and my great aunt owned a variety/candy store. Both were located on my walking route home from grade school. Needless to say I was a rather "chunky" lad! :D

BTW welcome to dgrin. Looking forward to more great images from you.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I love the feel and composition of this photo----the colors are terrific! I've only posted two pictures, don't have the nerve to post any more. We drive through Marshall all the time on trips to Dallas. We'll have to go into downtown sometime.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin!

Ok, put on the asbestos jacket. It's a nice shot, but I can't say I like it. Aside from the nostalgia aspect, it's also where I was born and where our family was chased from town in the '60's due to racism. We were forced from Henderson only a short year later into central Texas where we grew up. I've never been back to my home town and have no desire to return.

Technically, it's a cool shot. But, ya know, Marshall should have moved on by now. Shreveport felt nicer then and this shot makes me think I'd have rather been raised in Louisiana. Next time you're through Marshall, look for the old high school from the 1950's and '60's and take a couple of shots while thinking of a young, white music teacher with five children that happened to have black friends and that the white community decided that that was a bad influence.

Tell me that story and then connect it to your lovely new post and I'll be a huge fan!

Ok, it's safe to take off the jacket at this stage. You just touched a nerve, which is what all photography should do. Well done mwink.gif
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Howdy Cathy,

Beautiful shot, very nice composition and perspective, and the toning and colors are just splendid!!!

Jefferson is a great part of Texas, still brings people in for the Old Town Feel.

Great work, look forward to seeing more of your work.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • CathyBCathyB Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 28, 2009
    Thanks all...
    Thanks for all of the comments.

Cathy