Pole Vault Shots - Critique Please

SoonerShawnSoonerShawn Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited April 1, 2009 in Sports
My first pole vault shots. I'd love to hear any critiques or suggestions.

498832916_qwmFE-XL.jpg

498832687_PNdy9-XL.jpg

498833003_qLtNc-XL.jpg

498832706_HNLTo-XL.jpg

Nikon D3
80-200 f2.8 125mm
f3.5
ISO 200
1/2500

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    in spite of the background - love the intensity you captured in the 1st one! My only nit would be the leveling - shouldn't the scoreboard in the background be more vertical?

the others are great too? Those three are all part of a burst series?

nice job.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • SoonerShawnSoonerShawn Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    Frog Lady wrote:
    in spite of the background - love the intensity you captured in the 1st one! My only nit would be the leveling - shouldn't the scoreboard in the background be more vertical?

the others are great too? Those three are all part of a burst series?

nice job.

C.

Thanks Colleen. I do notice that now. It appears to be a little out of whack in #2 also. I have a problem with that, and I don't know why I keep missing it when I can easily fix it in post processing. Yes these are all from an 8 frame sequence I believe.
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2009
    I know nothing about vaulting, but I really like the first one. It's interesting to see the how much the pole bends.

I think it would be helpful to include a wide shot, so we can get a better feel for the height the vaulters are obtaining. Plus it would be interesting to capture them falling into the mat. This with going over the bar would make a neat series.
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    very nice shots
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • nikitynicknikitynick Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    just curious, when shooting pole vaults, do you follow the vaulter with the camera, or wait for him to come into the frame? id imagine with at 1/2500 speed blur shouldnt be an issue waiting with a still frame?ne_nau.gif

anyway shots look great, agree that the first one looks awesome, just a bit much going on in the backruond. also, the vaulter has great technique thumb.gif
  • zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    I'd buy the first shot for sure, possibly the whole set.
    Great shot!thumb.gif
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I think it would be helpful to include a wide shot, so we can get a better feel for the height the vaulters are obtaining. Plus it would be interesting to capture them falling into the mat. This with going over the bar would make a neat series.

Hey Shawn:

Nice set. I think all of these work because you were focused in-close on the athlete so you get the intensity of the face ($$).

From a commercial standpoint, I agree with 2whlrcr on the context shot. I'm wondering if pairing close-up shots these with a wider-angle context shot would be appealing to these athletes.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
    edited April 1, 2009
    nikitynick wrote:
    just curious, when shooting pole vaults, do you follow the vaulter with the camera, or wait for him to come into the frame? id imagine with at 1/2500 speed blur shouldnt be an issue waiting with a still frame?ne_nau.gif

anyway shots look great, agree that the first one looks awesome, just a bit much going on in the backruond. also, the vaulter has great technique thumb.gif

This was the first time I shot any pole vaulting so I'm still experimenting. But these were shot on autofocus, following the vaulter. Background issues are just something you can't do much about at these H.S. meets. It wouldn't have mattered which side I shot from, I would have had alot going on in the background.
    edited April 1, 2009
    zack75144 wrote:
    I'd buy the first shot for sure, possibly the whole set.
    Great shot!thumb.gif

Thanks...I wish you were this kid's dad.