Walking Tall....Sr

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in People
-Some of you might remember a few shots I shared of Lauren last October when the black-eyed-susans were in bloom....
393559070_4mfPz-S-2.jpg

We scheduled to finish up her Sr portfolio last Thursday. The rain here has been torrential...and unpredictable. Its making it tough on my scheduling....to say the least. In any event, we managed to get our shots in, and stayed realatively dry...more or less.

Here's Lauren....

Walking Tall
1-
500422376_icZE7-M-2.jpg

2-
500422181_vbMQf-M-1.jpg

3-
500453684_E5LQu-M.jpg

4-
500418618_CJzUh-L-2.jpg

5-
500419113_C5J5b-M-1.jpg

6-
500421086_LgQ2q-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    -Some of you might remember a few shots I shared of Lauren last October when the black-eyed-susans were in bloom....

We scheduled to finish up her Sr portfolio last Thursday. The rain here has been torrential...and unpredictable. Its making it tough on my scheduling....to say the least. In any event, we managed to get our shots in, and stayed realatively dry...more or less.

Here's Lauren....

Walking Tall

Jeff,

These are very nice...you must live in a really nice location...lots of scenic backdrops...

Thanks for sharing,
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Man the compo on that first one is incredible. You have everything in *just* the right spot. Well doneclap.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Thanks Heather.....without mountains, thats about as close as I can come to composing something like your spectacular mountaintop couples portraits.(did you hear the jealousy in there?)

Ed...

These were shot at two locations that are only a mile...at most...apart. I don't think Baton Rouge is blessed with any more...or less "nice locations" than any other city. I am always on the lookout for a "location". I bet you have some near you!thumb.gif
    edited March 28, 2009
    ...and
    7-
    500449306_MexbB-M-1.jpg

8-
    500448030_aAnMB-M-1.jpg

9-
    500450806_dbGJV-M-1.jpg

10-
    500450272_tMgoC-M-1.jpg

11-
    500451283_NBUvz-S-1.jpg
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Ok, so now you have officially killed me with your creativity. How did you think of the chalk art!? Such a simple thing but so creative.
    And #7... she must be a dancer. Really nice lines in that one. Like the processing.
    Can you share your settings and stuff for #9? I have yet to get a jumping photo that I have liked.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I like #3 and #8. Maybe it's the jacket color with her hair--I just think it is a very nice look. The lighting is good and the overall makes a very attractive image, IMO.

Lauren (Good name choice! :D )
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited March 28, 2009
    Ok, so now you have officially killed me with your creativity. How did you think of the chalk art!? Such a simple thing but so creative.
    And #7... she must be a dancer. Really nice lines in that one. Like the processing.
    Can you share your settings and stuff for #9? I have yet to get a jumping photo that I have liked.

Actaully she is on the flag team!...but they "kinda" dance with the flags!

How did I think of chalk art?
    I can't tell you everything.....rolleyes1.gif ....I can't tell you "how" I thought of it...but there it is.....fun! Actually.....well....maybe later...

For #9

It was getting fairly dark...especially under the awning....and was pouring rain everywhere else. If you use ETTL...like me....

Heres a couple tips...

- If ambient light is in abundance, you still need to keep your shutter speed at or below your flash synch speed for your camera. If you choose a faster shutter speed, then you will be in high speed synch mode and will get a much less powerful pulse of light from the flash. Use ISO and aperture to get you down around 1/200.

- This was done with the flash about 8 - 9 feet up on a stand....and through an umbrella...I have gotten decent ones with the flash in the factory foot stand on the ground also.

- If the ambient light is lower...like this shot....you could go with a longer sgutter speed to get more ambient in the photo...but if its really bright outside you could get some blur. Typically...if you are under exposing the BG, then the flash will freeze the subject.

Okay...thats a lot of typing for something that is really....simple.

My settings here were...

-1/200, ISO400, F2.8, 28mm, photographer on the ground.

FWIW....F2.8 was probably not the best idea. I got lucky and got two sharp jump shots in two tries. This shot could have been improved with the the flash a couple feet more distant from her....and maybe stopped down a bit.
    edited March 28, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    I like #3 and #8. Maybe it's the jacket color with her hair--I just think it is a very nice look. The lighting is good and the overall makes a very attractive image, IMO.

Lauren (Good name choice! :D )

When we arrived at that location, and I snapped my first shot I told her we were extremely lucky with the lighting there....it was beautiful. She was lit from behind by natural light.....and then a flash at camera left.

As for the colors, I think the color of the brickwork also lends itself well to her hair color. A good spot for her!

Thanks for commenting.
  • barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful! You inspire me to continue to improve this passion I have for photography. Thank you. Maybe you could come to Indiana and teach a class on outdoor senior portraiture, and after that maybe post-processing. :D
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Very pretty set. My favorites are #1 & 7 ... love the composition in #7 somehow, just very pretty iloveyou.gif Also love the diversity in this set, she'll have many nice photos / poses to chose from!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I love 'em all, but especially 2, 7 (holy COW!) and 10. And I think of 8 as your "trademark" shot for letter jackets! I love the chalk what a really REALLY great idea artistically (it looks cool), it's personal (I'm assuming she did it herself in her own hand) the kids'll think it's "edgy" (vaguely graffiti) and mom'n'dad will think "Awww.... I remember when they were toddlers playing with chalk at the park!". Major hit with that.

I'm telling you, all winter I was starting to feel like I was getting somewhere, but now you guys are all firing up again for the season and producing these magnificent sets and I realise I've barely scratched the surface of the possibilities out there..... it's inspiring but, boy does it push my "I'm such a n00b" button!

Beautiful set Jeff- keep 'em coming!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Awesome effect from your gel in the first. Love it!!! Amazing composition as others have said. With my perfecting hat on, I might clone out the top of that building and preserve the flat surface so the curl of the flag really pops. But that's only after I've stared at it too long! :D

I am absolutely in love with #4. Your hand posing is top notch. The light, colors, shooting angle and overall pose work so well together. I like her sweet but slightly mysterious expression in most of these...this is my fave!

All that said 7 just knocks me out of my chair!!!! The angles and pose and treatment in combination with her black outfit are STUNNING. bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited March 28, 2009
    barbnjon wrote:
    Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful! You inspire me to continue to improve this passion I have for photography. Thank you. Maybe you could come to Indiana and teach a class on outdoor senior portraiture, and after that maybe post-processing. :D

Oh sheesh........me?ne_nau.gif

It sounds fun, but I ain't comin' to Indiana.

You can come to Baton Rouge if you want....but bring an umbrella.

Why an umbrella?

Just for fun....for you...I am posting this unedited photo. We had been shooting under an awning......while it rained on and off. I had wanted to get a killer sillouette of her up on the levee......I do this often....but with her flag. So when we finished up we set up for this "last shot of the day"....in a hurry while it wasn't raining.

500728933_e6AaV-L.jpg

Now....her mother and I were still under the awning....this taken with my 70-200mm zoom. The girl...got caught in yet another downpour....and it was about a 150yd hike to get around the barricades and back to where we were.

:D
    edited March 28, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Very pretty set. My favorites are #1 & 7 ... love the composition in #7 somehow, just very pretty iloveyou.gif Also love the diversity in this set, she'll have many nice photos / poses to chose from!

Thanks Angie.mwink.gif
    edited March 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I love 'em all, but especially 2, 7 (holy COW!) and 10. And I think of 8 as your "trademark" shot for letter jackets! I love the chalk what a really REALLY great idea artistically (it looks cool), it's personal (I'm assuming she did it herself in her own hand) the kids'll think it's "edgy" (vaguely graffiti) and mom'n'dad will think "Awww.... I remember when they were toddlers playing with chalk at the park!". Major hit with that.

I am pleased that you said something about #2. I do this shot/pose often...at this and other locations....and at least think I am pretty good at setting it up. I am not pleased with my light placement here, and the subsequent shadows. I needed to leave the light be, but scoot her back some to minimize the shadow on the rounded part of the column...where it tails away from her. 8.....well thats the best way I know to get a shot of the BACK of a letter jacket. When I picked them up before the shoot and she saw the chalk....she went bonkers. It was fun...its in her own hand...It isn't exactly what I was aiming for....but close. I need a higher vantage point. Stay tuned.

I'm telling you, all winter I was starting to feel like I was getting somewhere, but now you guys are all firing up again for the season and producing these magnificent sets and I realise I've barely scratched the surface of the possibilities out there..... it's inspiring but, boy does it push my "I'm such a n00b" button!

Thats BS......you can do all of this. Just say "I can".
    Beautiful set Jeff- keep 'em coming!

Thanks DM. I appreciate the kind remarks.
    edited March 28, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    Awesome effect from your gel in the first. Love it!!! Amazing composition as others have said. With my perfecting hat on, I might clone out the top of that building and preserve the flat surface so the curl of the flag really pops. But that's only after I've stared at it too long! :D

Who....are you?ne_nau.gif Stop being such a stranger Lynne. We all miss you and your honest opinions and guidance.....and your always gorgeous photography.

The first...used no flash. We had run to the truck to get out of the rain and I drove to the parking lot below...and between where she is standing and the buildings beyond....to show her what I had in mind. It stopped raining for like....a minute....I had the 17-55 mounted, but the flash was on a stand and I didn't grab it as we made our run for it. I wish I had....but didnt.

I am absolutely in love with #4. Your hand posing is top notch. The light, colors, shooting angle and overall pose work so well together. I like her sweet but slightly mysterious expression in most of these...this is my fave!

I REALLY appreciate this remark. I spent more time with her on this shoot on hands than I ever have....and it paid off I think.

I am bummed a little about #5 posted here...It appears she fisted up on me and I didn't notice. It should be more like this....

500447328_E5mhk-M-1.jpg

The pose in #4 came straight from a book that I recently bought...and brought along. It is nearly identical to what I found in the book. Her hands are a little off, but real close to what shoulda been. The book helped. It was simple to show her the pose....or let her pick one out and then work together to replicate it. "The title "500 Poses for photographing women". It isnt instructional....no text at all....just example after example.
    All that said 7 just knocks me out of my chair!!!! The angles and pose and treatment in combination with her black outfit are STUNNING. bowdown.gif

Thanks. Her mom definately wanted shots in the outfit with a flag. I was having serious issues getting my 70-200 to focus in the dim light, and at the distance required to get the bokeh and full length. I was a bit closer here. Its an odd place to crop someone...I know...but it looked great in camera. I can live with it.mwink.gif

Thanks for commenting Lynne. I always appreciate your honest appraisal.
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Excellent as usual Jeff. Top notch.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Great stuff!! I love the lighting, posing, composition and variety. Are there any books or websites you would recommend for supplemental off camera flash?
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Great Seriesbowdown.gif

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Great set as always. The last two in the first post are probably my favorites :)