First time shooting a sunset

AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in Landscapes
I've taken shots of people and animals around sunset but never really taken any of landscapes. I found a nice stretch of farms just north of my house they had a really cool looking tree. I messed with some PP settings too in a couple of them.

502649975_JqsSf-M.jpg
502650139_NUBze-M.jpg
502650207_EpDAE-M.jpg
502650230_ouqbw-M.jpg
502650534_qL8wY-M.jpg

Comments

• JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    They are all nice, but I like #2 the best. The sun is more subtle and the black silhouette of the trees is very dramatic. Good work!
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    They are all nice, but I like #2 the best. The sun is more subtle and the black silhouette of the trees is very dramatic. Good work!

Thanks! It's my wife's favorite as well, and I like to think she has great taste. mwink.gif

Looking at them again, I just realized I borked my new watermark... I either wanted the name (Solar Flare Photography) OR the website (solarflarephoto.com) and I ended up with a conglomeration that if someone tries to go to will do nothing for them. HA. I'll have to redo that when I get home.

*Fixed WM
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    I likethe orientation of 1 the best but 2 and 3 are great beautiful shots also.

Are you bracketing your shots, so you can see what happens at a few stops either way of what the camera says is correct exposure. To bracket, you either need to set the camera to bracket or switch over to manual and shoot a few stops up and down from the point the camera callled correct exposure.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I likethe orientation of 1 the best but 2 and 3 are great beautiful shots also.

Are you bracketing your shots, so you can see what happens at a few stops either way of what the camera says is correct exposure. To bracket, you either need to set the camera to bracket or switch over to manual and shoot a few stops up and down from the point the camera callled correct exposure.

The d60 doesn't have it built-in, so I SHOULD be doing it manually... in this instance I did not though. Thank you for reminding me to do it, I need to start making it a part of my process. Until I can afford the jump up to the cameras with more built-ins.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    AirThom wrote:
    The d60 doesn't have it built-in, so I SHOULD be doing it manually... in this instance I did not though. Thank you for reminding me to do it, I need to start making it a part of my process. Until I can afford the jump up to the cameras with more built-ins.

it is built in on mine and i still just go to manual mode and do from there.......but I still shoot in manual or AP 99.9% of the time......can't claim 100% because I will venture inot to "P" once in a great while just to see how cam does in a specific conditions (low light, mixed low lighting...etc).....

The more you learn to do on your own (without built ins) the more consistent you'll become at getting very good photos and then when you do move up to more bells and whistles, you will be able top easily compensate if the cams computer fibs to you........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website