Options

Someone told me I blew out his flash?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    This was a pop up flash on a Canon camera - a pop up flash on a Canon does not function as a Master. ( I know it can on some Nikon cameras though.)
    I stand under correction here, but I've heard that the popup flash can be used to trigger a Sigma 530 DG Super off the camera (maybe Ziggy can clear it up as I seem to recall that he has Sigma flashes). I'm certain the flash won't be triggered if it's not in slave mode though.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    BigAl wrote:
    I stand under correction here, but I've heard that the popup flash can be used to trigger a Sigma 530 DG Super off the camera (maybe Ziggy can clear it up as I seem to recall that he has Sigma flashes). I'm certain the flash won't be triggered if it's not in slave mode though.
    Sigma hot-shoe flashes (at least the DG 500) does have an optical trigger.
  • Options
    KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Maybe his batts were dead or just weak enough to where it wouldn't fire, and `cos he was upset, he may have thought his flash really blew out.headscratch.gif

I know some of my electronics would not work at all due to dead batts or being so weak they couldn't send any juice. Can happen to anyone.

His flash probably works now.
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hey I have a dead flash also. Maybe you killed mine too. rolleyes1.gif and here I was blaming myself for dropping the thing.

Other than creating light that this person was not expecting, you did nothing. So how did your shots turn out?
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hey I have a dead flash also. Maybe you killed mine too. rolleyes1.gif and here I was blaming myself for dropping the thing.

Other than creating light that this person was not expecting, you did nothing. So how did your shots turn out?
    I won't hear the end of this incident, huh?rolleyes1.gif

I don't know how they turned out by viewing them on my computer `cos I had been blown away by this whole thing for the past couple days, so I haven't looked at them yet. The three pictures that I did get are still in the CF, and the CF's still in the camera.

But I don't think they turned out good. One,`cos I haven't got but one decent shot since I got the 30D, and it was on full-auto when that happened, and I just haven't had much time to learn photography since I got my first camera back in spring of 2005, and so I don't really know much about how to take good shots.

Two, the wedding shots were taken in the M mode and I had the shutter speed set at 0.8'' or 0''6 to avoid flash fire when he was about to shoot, and yet still they appeared quite dark on the camera's screen. I'm thinking on a scale from 0 to 10, they're probably gonna turn out to be about a 0.7.rolleyes1.gif
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    and something about frequencies and triggers.
    Well, the answer is here. I wonder if that photog's name was Kenneth? ne_nau.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Whatever you do, don't give him a penny. If he had an optical slave on the flash then every little P/S would pop it too.

Even then I doubt that would blow it out. We've worked speedlights very hard while shooting in groups of 3 and we've never had a problem.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't give him a penny. If he had an optical slave on the flash then every little P/S would pop it too.

Even then I doubt that would blow it out. We've worked speedlights very hard while shooting in groups of 3 and we've never had a problem.
    Yeah, I went back again to the local camera store to mention the optical slave, and they said there's still no way that can happen even with one of those. Then I called my favorite and only camera shop around, and they said the same thing, and they've been in the camera hobby and business for decades.

I think I've said it before... that I don't know much about cameras/photography, yet I still just don't see how there's any way in the world that any kind of flash could ever blow out any kind of other flash, espcecially a small pop-up verses a 5 inch tall SB800, (or whatever he had).

What's he gonna do if he were to go to Hollywood, or if he were invited to the White House, and he sees half the crowd with SLRs? Is he gonna tell them all not to shoot while he's there?ne_nau.gif
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    What's he gonna do if he were to go to Hollywood, or if he were invited to the White House, and he sees half the crowd with SLRs? Is he gonna tell them all not to shoot while he's there?ne_nau.gif

I know what I'll do if both you and I are at either location...

I'll hide my SB600 that you still owe me... thumb.gif
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro