Lens lust

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in Cameras
So I was at Indoor soccer provincials yesterday, and there was a photog in the referee box for the game - he is well known and official photog for the U so he is well credentialled. Last I saw him, he was explaining to me the benefits of long primes vs. zooms. Nice guy (and actually now that I have the 300mm, I do agree). Anyway, he seems to have changed to Nikon. He was using a very large body with a huge black lens! Really huge. I was wondering what it could be, since I find 135mm on my 1.6 body almost too long. I got to thinking maybe he was shooting full frame, and a 200mmf1.8 or some such beast. Is there such in the Nikon line up?

(ann debates the logic of switching teams at this point in her life).

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    (ann debates the logic of switching teams at this point in her life).
    One guy with one lens, and you are already thinking of switching to the black side? O tempora, o mores mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    One guy with one lens, and you are already thinking of switching to the black side? O tempora, o mores mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

She is such a smart woman. You know what they say, "once you go black you never go back." lol3.giflol3lol3.gif

Nikon offers a 200mm f2.0 with the VR technology. Match that up with a full frame D700 or D3 and you have a low light, low noise monsterthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    They do have an f/2.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Nikon offers a 200mm f2.0 with the VR technology.

I win the lottery, that baby and a 300mm version is MINE.
    //Leah
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    The Nikon AF-S 200mm f2 VR is a wonderful lens and it is big. But the AF is smoking fast and the bokeh is like butter and it is so sharp. I love mine, I bought it used from a fellow dgrinner and have never regretted it for a moment. They go 4000.00 new mine set me back 3400.00 but it was the least expensive way to get a fast VR lens

439826255_63LEn-L.jpg This is with a 1.7TC but the bokeh is still great @ f3.3 340mm equivilent focal
    480308564_v2Dcv-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Yeah, Nikon has 200m f2, which is what I would guess he was using...Canon has a 200mm f2 as well...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 30, 2009
    Baldy shot some stunning video with the Canon 200 f2. Looks like a great lens.

200mm on a full frame camera gives the same view as a 135mm on a APS sensor camera.

The Canon 135 f2 is a very sweet lens, and substantially cheaper than a 200 f2...............
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin