DSS #21 - new cover concept

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited April 4, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
On my way to the Denver Art Museum, photographing the amazing architecture and sculptures all around, I saw these trash cans lined up and something about them struck me. What do you think of this book cover idea?

501372232_vHNpm-L.jpg

Thinking of adding "author" info as well...
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    :jawdrop

Dunno about anybody else, but I think it's stunning - the photo is interesting, and the graphic approach you've taken to your "layout" is wonderfully imaginative.

Big thumbs up from me!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    and heres a thirdthumb.gif

i will need to google "COUTURE"
    Aaron Nelson
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Thanks for the thumbs up! I think "couture" is generally used in terms of fashion, so perhaps I'll change the title...

Here's a version with fictitious author/publisher info:

501412816_giRdQ-L.jpg
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    I have no cloue why I like a picture of Garbage cans... but I do.
    Looks great to me!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Love the trash cans.
    Only nits are the square plate on the right side of the print that can easily be cloned out. Other is that ladder. It detracts a bit from the one fallen trash can. Anyway to make that one disappear???
    edited March 29, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Love the trash cans.
    Only nits are the square plate on the right side of the print that can easily be cloned out. Other is that ladder. It detracts a bit from the one fallen trash can. Anyway to make that one disappear???

Funny...I sort of thought of those things as "design elements" rather than distractions, and composed for them. But then again I did shoot trash cans as art! Laughing.gif. I'll attempt a "cleaner" version and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback! :D
    edited March 30, 2009
    Reworked the title and cloned out the distracting elements. Better???

501680126_FXNB5-L.jpg
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Like Donna I don't know why I like it but I do.

I prefer the original version with the "distractions" of the ramp & wall plate.
    They didn't pull me from the main image but added to it & the ramp worked well with the fallen can on the left of the title spine.
    Just my .02
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited March 30, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    Like Donna I don't know why I like it but I do.

I prefer the original version with the "distractions" of the ramp & wall plate.
    They didn't pull me from the main image but added to it & the ramp worked well with the fallen can on the left of the title spine.
    Just my .02

I think I like the original image better, too. The "clean" version seems a little dull without the extra elements. But it was fun to see what I could do with cloning!

Incidentally, the black bar going up the image is actually a light pole that I used as a design feature. The entire image is meant to be the front cover photo. Does that change your opinion of it?

Also, what do you think of the new title? Not sure I like it...
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Thanks for the thumbs up! I think "couture" is generally used in terms of fashion, so perhaps I'll change the title...

Here's a version with fictitious author/publisher info:

501412816_giRdQ-L.jpg

Benjer, I really like this version, more than the revised one with the cloned out "distractions." I like the original title much more also. Only nit that I have is that the black bar along with the pole is a bit domineering to my eye. How would it look if you just ran the text up the pole without adding the black bar?

Great concept and typography!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited March 30, 2009
    I realised that it was just the front cover but used "title spine" to explain where I meant. Though it would work as a wrap around as well with some black blurb space.

I'm not sure about the new title plus on my uncalibrated monitor the new title seems to have a dark "shadow" band across the wall. Not sure if you were aiming for that but it is very noticable on here & keeps drawing my attention. The original title band didn't have that.

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited March 30, 2009
    Final version (I think), de-cloned with new title + subtitle. Any thoughts before I submit?

502032696_oyr58-L.jpg

Note: the new title was borrowed from an exhibit at the Museum of Northwest Art in La Conner, WA, which I found on the web. It fit my theme so well I had to use it. I had no idea when I started this cover project that there was a concurrent art display with this theme going on!
    edited March 30, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Benjer, I really like this version, more than the revised one with the cloned out "distractions." I like the original title much more also. Only nit that I have is that the black bar along with the pole is a bit domineering to my eye. How would it look if you just ran the text up the pole without adding the black bar?

Great concept and typography!! thumb.gif

Thank a lot for your feedback! What do you think of the newest title?

Also, the "black bar" is in fact the square light pole. I made no changes to the image, simply used it in the design. Do you like it better now with larger text?
    edited March 30, 2009
    AndMan wrote:
    I realised that it was just the front cover but used "title spine" to explain where I meant. Though it would work as a wrap around as well with some black blurb space.

I'm not sure about the new title plus on my uncalibrated monitor the new title seems to have a dark "shadow" band across the wall. Not sure if you were aiming for that but it is very noticable on here & keeps drawing my attention. The original title band didn't have that.

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for your comments. The shadow you mentioned was intentional, to try and help the title stand out better against the wall. I'll try a version without it and see if that works.
    edited March 30, 2009
    Title without the shadow behind it. I think it's a little harder to see without it...and none of the other colors I tried look as "right" as this one. What do you think?

502043737_UHTCT-L.jpg
    edited March 30, 2009
    I see what you mean. I would go with the earlier version.

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

edited March 30, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Thank a lot for your feedback! What do you think of the newest title?

Also, the "black bar" is in fact the square light pole. I made no changes to the image, simply used it in the design. Do you like it better now with larger text?

I like the first title best... all of them work, but I think using the "high class" term "Couture" nicely contrasts "Trash."

From the newest revision, I like that the title of over the pole and doesn't get clipped by it. I also like the new sub-title, but like the formatting (not bold) of the first sub-title.

Just my $.02, but in the end, they're all really good! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    When I first saw the original title, my mind thought "trash culture" not couture.
    I think I like the new name.ne_nau.gif I definitely know a group of artists in this area that do just that and come up with amazing works of art. But mostly I love the picture. I am glad you went back to the first one. I liked the square and the handrail.
    edited March 30, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I like the first title best... all of them work, but I think using the "high class" term "Couture" nicely contrasts "Trash."

I really like the first title too, but the fashion connotation is too strong and doesn't relate to the image. I have a new title, which I am posting in the gallery now. I also took your recommendation on the subtitle - I think I like it better (not as clunky).

Thanks everyone for your feedback! You really helped me refine my idea and I feel good about the final product (subject to change without notice!). Laughing.gif. iloveyou.gif
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    I am blown away with the image and the concept. thumb.gif The green font is a tad distracting for me, but doesn't take away from the overall feel.
    Steve

Website
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I'm still a bit partial to the original title but either way I love the image you have developed!

those colors are awesome!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I'm still a bit partial to the original title but either way I love the image you have developed!

those colors are awesome!

Another vote for the original title - the oxymoron of "couture" and "trash" worked for me, especially when the cans are in designer purple :)

Fabulous job, all round, Benjer - the photo, the mock-up of the graphics.... it all just works. And I had NO idea that was a pole until you pointed it out - inspired!

ETA: I also keep reading the new title as reeFUSE refined instead of RE(H)fuse refined... Which, of course, is a good pun (and I assume you meant that to happen since the graphic effect of the lower case v. capitals emphasises it) but I still think I prefer the implications of couture. Must be the ex-dressmaker in me :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    When I read the first title, I also thought it said "Culture" but when I re-read it and saw "Couture" I thought that worked too. Any of your titles work, but I like the second sub-title better. I'll check out the one you finally posted.

All in all, this is a super idea and I can't wait to see your finished book on Blurb!!! (Hint: if this was meant to be just a cover for the challenge, you better get busy shooting and make it a real book! :D )

Nice job!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited April 1, 2009
    Ha! Back, by popular demand! Laughing.gif. I just figured out how to make the original title work. The key is the subtitle! :)clap.gif

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback and helping me fine tune my entry. All of your comments and ideas were invaluable in this process. (Look for the "Thank You" page in the forthcoming book!) I'll have to delete the old one from the gallery, but oh well. Sometimes creativity's messy. :D
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    This is such a great shot, I really like what you ended up withclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited April 3, 2009
    Okay, now that I have two versions still sitting in the entry gallery, I'm back to being undecided about which to keep! The only difference is the title, and may be a moot point anyway, but with a few days left to second guess myself I'm getting nervous.

Which to you prefer? reFUSE reFINED

502174319_6LUv6-L.jpg

or tRASH COUtURE???

503721106_FotZK-L.jpg

THANKS!!!
    edited April 3, 2009
    Both work, but I prefer "Trash Couture" though I prefer the more neon green you've currently got on "refuse refined" over the darker green on the second!

No need to second guess yourself on this one though... both are great! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Both work, but I prefer "Trash Couture" though I prefer the more neon green you've currently got on "refuse refined" over the darker green on the second!

No need to second guess yourself on this one though... both are great! thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    To the letter
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I like "Trash Couture" better also.

Good luck!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    ok...when I looked at this I had no clue to what couter ment. Had to do a google. Then I thought what a cleaver title...but because the definition of couter had to mainly do with the fashion industry...i thought that it was too bad you didn't have a dingy pair of jeans hanging out of one of the cans!...lol.

I think the trash couter title works and I prefer the darker green as the neon green hurts my eyes and burns into my retnas a shadow after I leave the image.eek7.gif