Badwater, Death Valley

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited April 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi all,

Been some time since I checked in. Here is a shot taken this AM at Badwater in Death Valley. I got lucky and got a nice cloud formation. I have a couple more pics (panos) which I will post later.

Thanks for looking...

501456461_tcgBN-L-0.jpg

And this one taken on Saturday evening...
===============================

501546397_YdaLK-L-0.jpg

Cheers,

Comments

• canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Wow, those are beautiful. I was just in Death Valley and spent some time shooting but nothing so spectacular. Thanks for sharing!

shniks wrote:
    Hi all,

Been some time since I checked in. Here is a shot taken this AM at Badwater in Death Valley. I got lucky and got a nice cloud formation. I have a couple more pics (panos) which I will post later.

Thanks for looking...

501456461_tcgBN-L-0.jpg

And this one taken on Saturday evening...
    ===============================

501546397_YdaLK-L-0.jpg

Cheers,
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Awesome-- you did get lucky with the clouds. The one chance I had to shoot Badwater at sunrise, there were no clouds and it was very windy. I decided to shoot a self-portrait using a tripod and the self-timer. Stepped in front of the camera just in time for a gust of wind to blow over the tripod and snap my 16-35 right off the camera! :cry

87103969.jpg

Luckily, Canon was able to fix it for a reasonable price. But it ended my Badwater dawn session rather abruptly!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Ouch Pete- I am shuddering looking at that beautiful lens broken that way. I HAVE to ask- how on earth did the TRIPOD fall over? eek7.gif That is a scary thought! I probably would have died, then gone to wherever (hell I guess in my case), looked down at the fallen tripod and broken glass and died again! rolleyes1.gif

Glad to know that it worked out in the end! Phew!

Cheers,
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    Awesome-- you did get lucky with the clouds. The one chance I had to shoot Badwater at sunrise, there were no clouds and it was very windy. I decided to shoot a self-portrait using a tripod and the self-timer. Stepped in front of the camera just in time for a gust of wind to blow over the tripod and snap my 16-35 right off the camera! :cry

87103969.jpg

Luckily, Canon was able to fix it for a reasonable price. But it ended my Badwater dawn session rather abruptly!

:jawdrop

Ouch is right! :cry

Nikhil,
    Great shots! Very well done! A good enough gust of wind could knock over my tripod if unattended... I just spent the weekend at Joshua Tree and the evening I made it up to Keys View gave me nothing to brag about because I just couldn't bring myself to set my camera on the tripod, mine's a cheapo, but those winds were gusting so much I wouldn't have felt comfortable even with a good one!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    I HAVE to ask- how on earth did the TRIPOD fall over?

It gets really windy in Death Valley!

The worst part was that was the only lens I had brought out with me, and as you know, it's a bit of hike from the parking lot to the cool salt formations at Bad Water. Of course with the lens snapped off, in windy Death Valley conditions, I kept my 5D lens mount covered with my hand for that all too long walk back to the car.

But... turns out Canon actually designs their lenses to break like this rather than to break the much more expensive lens mount. To this day, that 5D remains a fantastic camera and only the lens had to be repaired. And... luckily, the lens snap came on the last day of a four day trip in Death Valley so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Lovely photographs, I enjoyed them both, but really liked no 1 as it shows of more of the harshness in the shapes in the landscape.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Nice shots! I like all the detail in the salt(?), and the colors.

A good gust of wind can topple a tripod. If your center shaft has a hook on the bottom, try hanging your camera bag from it. I haven't had a problem yet by doing this. I also have a "hammock" thingy that attaches to the legs that I can fill with rocks or sand to help stabilize it, but I've yet to try it.
  • aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    These are beautiful. I like the lines in the first one slightly better, but both are outstanding.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    I also have a "hammock" thingy that attaches to the legs that I can fill with rocks or sand to help stabilize it, but I've yet to try it.
    Oh is that what that thing is for? eek7.gif

Beautiful shots of a desolate place, Nik! You really caught the right light there.

And dude, Pete, showing us painful photos like that isn't nice. lol3.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    501456461_tcgBN-Th-0.jpg

I just love how the white salt takes on the color of the sky and light :D

Here's one from a few weeks ago:
    491877443_f9S3p-XL.jpg
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I just love how the white salt takes on the color of the sky and light :D

Here's one from a few weeks ago:

That's an awesome shot Andy- You must have used your 5DII.. :D

Cheers,
    edited March 31, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    That's an awesome shot Andy- You must have used your 5DII.. :D

Cheers,
    Thanks. You just prompted me to process another shot, pano stitch..... love how the dried lake bed and the salt just absorbs all this color wings.gif

502909632_tCN3a-XL.jpg
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Beautiful colors! I agree with Andy, I love the salt takes on the color of the sky around it. I really want to go back to Death Valley, one day was not long enough!
  • pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I'll be there this weekend. I hope my shots come out well. Your photos got me excited for my Death Valley run.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
    edited March 31, 2009
    poker wrote:
    I'll be there this weekend. I hope my shots come out well. Your photos got me excited for my Death Valley run.

Have fun- but if I may, try and go for the twilight! Trust me, it will be worth the trek to the location when you see the sweet light! :D

Cheers,
    edited March 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks. You just prompted me to process another shot, pano stitch..... love how the dried lake bed and the salt just absorbs all this color wings.gif

Another cool shot Andy. I love the depth of field in this one too. You are right about the salt flats taking on the colors of the sky n light! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Very cool shots there Shniks.

I was recently there and now I want to go back!! :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    Awesome shots, Nikhil. bowdown.gif Andy's ain't to shabby either. rolleyes1.gif
    edited April 1, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Very cool shots there Shniks.

I was recently there and now I want to go back!! :D

Do post your shots if you take some. Would love to see them.

Cheers,
    edited April 13, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Another cool shot Andy. I love the depth of field in this one too. You are right about the salt flats taking on the colors of the sky n light! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
    Thanks so much :D
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Now I've finally made up my mind for my next landscape photography destination thanks to you and Andy.
    Great images clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ