Newbie & Portraits

DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited March 30, 2009 in People
Hey guys, brand new here. Figured I might as well introduce myself with some photos. My passion is art (painting and drawing type art) but I love photography too. Recently got a Canon XS so I've been more and more interested in expanding my photography skills.

dustin.jpg

seanstairs.jpg

carlosmurphys11.jpg
Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
EF-S 18-55mm
EF 75-300mm

Comments

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hi Drin, welcome to Dgrin!

I'm sure you will find lots of helpful people and info, because its definitely around!

I'm no pro but will offer my humble opinion, in the hope it may help.

As with other art such as painting and drawing, where the light falls in your photo is of utmost importance. With some of these, the positioning of the subject and light sources could be placed better.
    In #1 the light source (window?) above his head distracts from the subject, and at the same time backlights him so his face is in shadow. He is looking a bit too far to the side to really engage the viewer.

#3 is similar and in #2 it looks like the subject is talking, which is a bit awkward, and the image is a bit soft, probably due to a slow shutter speed.

It looks like these shots are snapshots rather than posed shots, and something to remember when capturing candids is to try and capture the moment - capture emotion, or the character of the person you are shooting. The eyes are a huge part of this so careful attention needs to be paid to them.

Keep going with your shots - shoot shoot shoot and you will improve! You are off to a good start and I hope you are enjoying your new camera!
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    I really appreciate the critique. Photography is pretty new to me so I have a lot to learn. I hope that's appropriate for this forum (I know some art communities have standards that need to be met).

I liked the lighting in the first one quite a bit but looking at it again I totally see what you mean about facing more toward the camera. Good point.

The second and third one were somewhat experimental, should probably learn the basics before I get into all that. rolleyes1.gif I liked the effect of having the railing in focus instead of the subject but that's subjective. I see what you mean about talking, yeah.

Great suggestion about capturing emotion and the eyes. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D

Here's a shot of a friend. Thought I'd throw it in there or is it generally discouraged to post more pictures after the first post?

shanestoned.jpg
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm