Senior Caleb

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited April 1, 2009 in People
Did a senior shoot today. Single SB800 no modifier. First time playing with SD-8A battery pack for the SB800. Cycle time for the flash was killer. No waiting.

A few images, thank you for looking.

DSC_4941.jpg

DSC_4945.jpg

DSC_4947.jpg

DSC_4960.jpg

DSC_4961.jpg

DSC_4966.jpg

DSC_4995.jpg

DSC_5000.jpg

DSC_5001.jpg

DSC_5016.jpg

DSC_5026.jpg

DSC_5028.jpg

DSC_5032.jpg

DSC_5035.jpg
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    No takers? I shot these with bare flash for the first time. Experimenting with one light setup. I thought they turned out pretty good. Differing opinions would be helpful, cause as they say opinions are like (booty) holes, everyone has one.

First one to respond gets a free cookie!
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Mmmm.... cookie :)

I'm assuming you wanted the hard shadow in the ones where you were close to the background? In some it works, in others not as much so, but if it was the look you wanted (which from the "edgy" processing I'm guessing you did), then fair enough. Some won't care for it, but I think your processing and his choice of clothing etc makes a case for it.

Sometimes his eyes go a little dead, but 10 and 11 are nice and lively.

In 6, the blown highlights bother me.

I like him on 3, but not sure about the shadow. 5 works for "edgy", 9 is a nice all-round shot, 10 is great for a really intense look (would make a great performer headshot); 11 is good, if a little bit "pasted on smile".

Overall, I like them in the context of a specific style and look. thumb.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Hi there. I agree, the look is a bit too harsh to me too, but it's definitely an interesting style.

My favorites are 2, 3 & 9,10, although the shirt looks a bit too blown in #3.

Overall in my opinion the photos look a bit over-sharpened & the light is too harsh, but then again, that might be just me ne_nau.gif I would see this type of style be appealing to male seniors ...

Also, his poses look a bit awkward in #1, 5 & 6 (he doesn't seem to know what to do with his hands), the relaxed pose in #2 looks better to me, even though he has his hands in his pockets mwink.gif

In #12 he seems to be staring somewhere, and doesn't seem to be "with you" mwink.gif

Overall interesting series thumb.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Cookie???

Nice job, the look is very manly! mwink.gif Works good with the student's style.
    There is only one thing that I am distracted by, in some of the photos his eyes are so light they look like metal, and maybe that is popular with that set, but i think they are just a little over done, a lttle too harsh overall .

I hope it is a BIG cookie!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Since you asked....

I agree that most have a bit of an odd look to them...

over sharpened or grainy
    light too harsh and nose shadow too wide
    eyes overprocessed

having said that though..maybe that's what you were looking for ne_nau.gif
    I like the posing, angles and the edgy backgrounds. # 9 would be my favorite.

And man...he looks way older than a senior!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Good shots, cool look..... but overprocessed. What bugs me is that the eyes look fake. I'll bet his real eyes are unbelievable and don't need any extra punch. If his eyes looked more natural, I could probably dig the processing.

Caroline
    edited March 31, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies. On second look I did oversharpen and got too excited on the eyes. Reprocessing and working on softening things up a little. Will repost when done. Thank you again for the input. That's why I love this place. clap.gif
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I stopped and pondered number two. Many shadows, but the pose, the background...the composition was interesting to me. If I was to suggest anything, it would be to have your model change up there dress a bit and give those great backgrounds every opportunity to make your model shine. Thanks for sharing.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited March 31, 2009
    Reworked the photos. Refresh page to see. Thank you again for all the feedback.

Here's the changes:

1. Softened the shadows on the nose to emulate softer light.
    2. Left the eyes alone. Darn you Scott Kelby for teaching me the "moon" trick!
    3. Changed the processing a little bit.
    4. I just noticed, I sharpened the image for print then sharpened again for web size that's why it was oversharpened.

Let me know what you think. thumb.gif
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Ahhhhhh!! Much more comfortable to the eye of the beholder. More flattering to the model. They look awesome !!wings.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Ahhhhhh!! Much more comfortable to the eye of the beholder. More flattering to the model. They look awesome !!wings.gif

YES, easier on the eyes. I like the shadows. I like the masculine look- I'll be he'll like them a lot. Process a few more traditionally for mom, if you can do so without compromising your sense of style.

Caroline
  • jrowphotojrowphoto Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I missed the before shots, so I was wondering why all of the semi-negative feedback! lol I really like these, and it works really well with this guy (and I would think guys in general). I didn't think the new ones are overprocessed at all, and I like the rougher/edgier look... a little like a band promo type of shot, rather than the over-posed Sears portrait look.

I'm going to be shooting a few seniors for the first time this year, and I like what you've done! :) Nice job!

John
    edited March 31, 2009
    Thank you, the before shots I added some processing to the eyes I learned from a Scott Kelby tute, but it made it look too "marble-ey". I thought I liked it but majority wins lol.

Jrow, my suggestion for your senior shoots, take a modifier lol. I had to do some post work to soften the shadows on the face which an umbrella could have fixed. But I did like how the hard light worked for Caleb.

And keep things as simple with the lighting as you can so all your focus goes to your subject and not fumbling with lights.

In terms of backdrops find a building with brick walls, my favorite backdrop. Simple yet effective.

lol just realized your name jrow sounds like a japanese Jennifer Lopez. :) I can make that joke cause I'm asian. lol
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Still a fan of #2!
    Growing with Dgrin