Options

Canvas Prints?

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Saw some prints on canvas the other day. To my untrained eye they could pass for paintings.

Anyone know about this process and where to order?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    I have seen it done where they take the print and stretch it on canvas, then you can add in an artistic brush stroke to give it more texture. They can even take the photo and retouch it to look like an oil painting, then print it and stretch it.

Professional Portrait labs will do this.

HS Photo is in Atlanta and does a nice job with them.

There is a local show in MS this month. That would be a good place to meet lab reps and get info. If you are interested in seeing canvas prints contact them ahead of time and see if they can bring a sample for you to look at.

June 26-27 Professional Photographers of Mississippi-Alabama Convention (Philadelphia, MS)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 1, 2005
    Greg:

I've done this several times for in-store artwork. I use the local franchise office of this vendor: www.signarama.com Some branches may not have the capabilities.

Many sign shops and photo mural houses can do direct output onto canvas or canvas-like fabrics.

I provide a graphic file containing .tif images and they do the printing. They turn out quite nice and after framing they really do appear as paintings.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Greg
    I have done this with my HP Deskjet printers
    Just pop in a canvas paper (you will have to cut it)and it works great.
    I have sold a few like this try different types of canvas paper too for different effects.
    Also I spray the canvas with a UV matte spray to seal

Now heres something different (wish I could find the web site or thread)
    But basicly what you do is print out your picture on ink jet printer
    then you lay piece of canvas on the printed out photo with a wet towel to transfer the image to the canvas.
    I have not tried this but I am dying to.
    What you get is a mirror image and due to the wet towel some real strange bleeding over on the photo.
    Sounds cool to me hopeing someone will remember where I seen this

Fred
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    I just did this at home. I bought some InkWorks artist canvas. Seems to work pretty well, but I do need to create a custom profile, and try a few printer settings to get the maximum quality.

InkWorks seems to have a number of creative papers for inkjet printers. If I was doing this for resale I would for an outside vendor.

Sam