First Landscape shots with a Cokin Filter C/C PLEASE!!

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited April 3, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's my attempt at some landscape stuff after buying a new Cokin P filter system on my way to shoot. C/C would be awesome! Would like to get some feedback because i'm trying to get into the whole landscape type of photography and could use all the help possible.. any comments on types of filters I should get and stuff like that would be appreciated.. THANKS! also, the rest of the pictures can be found here... feel free to look! http://jondraperphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/7757876_CHKWF/1/501695953_RyWa5

501701966_rRP5n-L.jpg
501695953_RyWa5-L.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Jon-

When asking for critiques it is helpful to include the EXIF data of the shots. I looked at your link and the EXIF is hidden there as well.

From these two shots though it appears you were shooting in mid day light which is a big :nono for landscape shots. The light is flat and you have foreground areas that are washed out.

The Horizon lines are also almost center of the frame and really chop the photos up. There is really not anything going on in the second shot- it is lacking a focus point or really anything to catch your eye. The boat and the sky help the first shot but the foreground is washed out and lacking detail.

That may come across as harsh but hey- I am only trying to help and you asked for it. deal.gif

Keep shooting though- you will get it soon enough.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    There's something I really like about the second shot and I can't quite place it. It looks dynamic to me. I think I like the curved horizon, tasteful overexposure and combination of textures. thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • DesignsmithDesignsmith Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    It would also help us to know what filter setup you were using.
    DS

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
    -Marcel Proust

Sony A100: Dician VG-1 grip: Made Products Camera Armor: Sony 18-70 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 50 f1.7: Minolta 28-80 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 7-210 f4: Sigma 70-300DL f4-5.6:
    Cambron 2x converter: Minolta 3500xi: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB x6: Lexar Pro 8GB x3: Cokin filter system: PSP X2:
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Jon,

From the second picture it looks like you are using a ND grad filter in the P holder. If that's true then it looks like you are darkening the sky to reduce the exposure. I agree with Aaron that it's not the best time of day to shoot landscapes (as I have hundreds and hundreds of shots taken at the same time of day and can personally attest to that). Best time would be sunrise/sunset to get the best light. That said, sometimes you just don't have the opportunities to shoot at those times for a variety of reasons so you have to make the most of what you have.

In the second shot you are darkening the sky but you still have the large bright area in the water. There is some nice detail in the foreground and the sky but it's being overwhelmed by the bright areas. Maybe try and push the filter down farther (if possible) to darken those areas. An alternative would be that if you are shooting Raw you can selectively reduce the exposure in the brighter areas to bring out details there and balance the exposure a little. Or take multiple shots at different exposures (if on a tripod) and selectively blend them later. There are a lot of different techniques you can try separately or in tandem to get what you want.

Keep shooting...
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Most of the glare in your photo is reflective from the chirp in the water. Turn the filter upside down and put filtered area on the water; the sky doesn't need it. Crop the bottom off if too black

I agree the GND filter is made for sunsets/sunrises on a horizontal plane

I have the set up and love it. This is an image that would be impossible without it (because of dynamic range).
    189324342_ryiuf-M-1.jpg
    Rags
    Rags