B&W HDR Waterfall

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited April 4, 2009 in Landscapes
One more shot from the Pacific Coast Trip a few weeks ago. Let me know your thoughts.

503053276_smJWC-XL.jpg
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Hey, I recognize that waterfall! :D

I like the treatment/conversion, I think it works really well, and it's a strong composition too. Definitely makes me want to go think about reprocessing some of my shots of Latourell Falls into B&W and seeing what happens.

Some minor things:

* The branch in the upper left is a little distracting. I'm not sure if you could have got lower/closer and got rid of it, I know it's pretty slick down there on those rocks.

* Part of the waterfall near the bottom is overexposed - it's easy to do this in HDR I've done and do it all the time with Snoqualmie Falls before I realize it and have to start over (sometimes just abandoning the HDR all together and trying to tweak it out with a single exposure). The top part of the waterfall is perfect though.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    One more shot from the Pacific Coast Trip a few weeks ago. Let me know your thoughts.

Aaron- I think it's wonderful. I will echo Ron's critique and would have liked those branches gone. Apart from that small nit, it's a great image.

Cheers,
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Hey, I recognize that waterfall! :D

I like the treatment/conversion, I think it works really well, and it's a strong composition too. Definitely makes me want to go think about reprocessing some of my shots of Latourell Falls into B&W and seeing what happens.

Some minor things:

* The branch in the upper left is a little distracting. I'm not sure if you could have got lower/closer and got rid of it, I know it's pretty slick down there on those rocks.

* Part of the waterfall near the bottom is overexposed - it's easy to do this in HDR I've done and do it all the time with Snoqualmie Falls before I realize it and have to start over (sometimes just abandoning the HDR all together and trying to tweak it out with a single exposure). The top part of the waterfall is perfect though.

Yeah the tree bugs me too but my PS skills suck so if I try to take it out it would only get worse. rolleyes1.gif

It was indeed slick- like 1/2" thick sheet of ice on the walk and bridge. Luckily I was the only one crazy enough to be there because I probably looked pretty funny crawling on my hands and knees with my camera gear. rolleyes1.gif

I saw the overexposed area and most of my water shots are because of the light and the speed of the water those days. I am pretty bummed about most of those shots. :cry

Thanks for the comments- look forward to shooting with you again sometime.

Aaron Newman

edited April 1, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Aaron- I think it's wonderful. I will echo Ron's critique and would have liked those branches gone. Apart from that small nit, it's a great image.

Cheers,
    Thanks very much. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    Very nice, Aaron! Great presence on that falls. I really like the lighting balance between the bridge and the falls too. It works well against the composition. thumb.gif
    edited April 2, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very nice, Aaron! Great presence on that falls. I really like the lighting balance between the bridge and the falls too. It works well against the composition. thumb.gif

Thank you sir! thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    oooooohh..very nice..composition is stunning.eek7.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Excellent photo and conversion! thumb.gif Unlike the others, the branch at the top doesn't really bother me all that much. It is just dark enough to not be that noticable and once you get a mat around it (and you had best be hanging this one!), I think it will be even less noticable.
  • GriffinGriffin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Great shot ... looks like a spot that you can play with composition of the bridge to get different feelings in the resulting pic.
    edited April 4, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Excellent photo and conversion! thumb.gif Unlike the others, the branch at the top doesn't really bother me all that much. It is just dark enough to not be that noticable and once you get a mat around it (and you had best be hanging this one!), I think it will be even less noticable.

Thanks Travis. Yeah I will add this to my list of shots to print on the next order. I'll see how it looks matted and framed.

Aaron Newman

edited April 4, 2009
    Griffin wrote:
    Great shot ... looks like a spot that you can play with composition of the bridge to get different feelings in the resulting pic.

Yeah- I think this would be a great place to play with composition..... when it is not covered in ice. eek7.gif

Aaron Newman

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    The branch in the upper left is a little distracting. I'm not sure if you could have got lower/closer and got rid of it, I know it's pretty slick down there on those rocks.

I know this waterfall too!! Beautiful shot Aaron!! I love the B&W of the shot and the angle you went with.

I agree with Ron about the branch. Have you considered cropping it differently? While I was scrolling down the thread I noticed a perfect position on the photo giving it a square crop that looked perfect.

Great work as always!!