Options

What are creative ways to create backdrops...

rgaetanorgaetano Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited April 19, 2009 in Technique
For example, check out these photos... I 'd like to know how the white and black was shot. 2 synced flashes??

It this just muslin? ANy ways to create with minmial investment..

http://theoconnors.smugmug.com/gallery/7774716_SCFr5#503017240_TdeMp

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    Over expose the background by 3-4 stops more than your correct subject exposure and the background will be white if it is a medium gray ( or lighter ) muslin or paper or whatever.

Paired large softboxes fairly far from the subject can light a white background enough to keep it white and shadow free as well. Here you want the subject and the background closer so there is less fall off from subject to background.

For black, keep the exposure 3-4 full stops darker than the correct exposure for your subject and the background will fall to black.

I use a matte black vinyl background for this look at times.

For both techniques, do not let the subject flash hit the background, and try to keep more than 5-8 feet from the subject to the background if at all possible - it helps keep the subject light separate from the background lighting.

Basically, you light the background separate from the subject.

A high key shot can be done by backlighting a white background sheet or silkscreen.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    I received this PM from the original poster
    Thanks for you past response to me... However.. I have to admit that I am not clear on the answer... Hopefully you don't find me asking...

Here was your response... I don't know how I expose the background.... do I get a meter reading on my subject with my d70-- and in aperture mode I can stop it up/down.. however, I don't know how to do this uniqely for my background.. when I review my pictures, I can see that I am doing it sometimes-- (ex background turns to solid white- but I dont know how to do it on purpose.. Can you help me?

In order to control how bright the background is, you need to have absolute control of the light entering your camera, thus the camera needs to be in Manual Mode, so that you are in command of both aperture and shutter speed.

You need to meter off of your subject and get a reading - you can do this with your camera and a 18% gray card. It is easier if you have access to an Incident light meter, but you can get by with the meter in your camera.

Once you know the exposure for your subject, you need to light your background so it is at least 3 stops brighter than your exposure for your subject - this will overexpose the background so strongly that it will appear white in your final image. For a black background, you want the light 3 stops less than your subject. You can do this in several ways. One way is to use separate lights for subject and background. Make sure there is about three stops difference from your subject, and the background will be either white or black.

Fundamentally, you need to control the light so that you have different amounts on the subject and the background, different by about 3 stops more for the background, to get a white background. If you are shooting with a white muslin background, you might get away with only 2 stops, but 3 will be better. If you want a black background, if it is 3 stops darker than your subject it will be recorded as black.

You can control how much light hits your background by using flags or gobos to keep it from reflecting around.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin