So I walked around a cemetery with my Lensbaby...

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in Landscapes
I just picked up a Lensbaby 2.0 on Ebay for $70, thinking I'd try it out and if I liked it then I could plan on buying the newer model (composer) in the future. Well, I already love the thing. It's not only easier than I thought it would be to use, but it's a lot of fun as well. Today I went to a local cemetary to take some shots with it. It was snowing, which you can see in most of the photos. By the time I was done my fingers were numb and my clothes were all wet, but I had a great time. Let me know what you think:

503208455_mP6Hp-L.jpg

503204963_Lvwd3-L.jpg

503209020_k2meV-L.jpg

503206325_izGKK-L.jpg

503206821_6H69N-L.jpg

503205765_usZDv-L.jpg

503207817_WJYvH-L.jpg

503209517_zZLeS-L.jpg

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Looks like your pictures are playing an april fool's joke, they're hiding.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Looks like your pictures are playing an april fool's joke, they're hiding.

Hmm, I'm guessing it's because I turned off "easy sharing" in the gallery... but they still display for me. Maybe because they're cached in my browser already? Anyway is there a way to disable sharing for everyone else but still be able to use it to post my photos on Dgrin? Or is there another way to post photos that I don't know about? The share button was the only way I could figure out to do it, and when I was done I disabled it again. Anway I'll turn it back on for now so they'll show up (hopefully) but if anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT: I guess I also had to turn on external links? Does it work now?
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,238 moderator
    edited April 1, 2009
    Interesting shots there. The blowing snow augments the lens baby effect and invokes a motion to some of the shots.

They weren't showing up at first — I see them now. Setting External links to yes does the trick.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Looks cool! The effect of the lensbaby, is of the sort that should used sparingly, but it works well here :D
    Hmm, I'm guessing it's because I turned off "easy sharing" in the gallery... but they still display for me. Maybe because they're cached in my browser already? Anyway is there a way to disable sharing for everyone else but still be able to use it to post my photos on Dgrin? Or is there another way to post photos that I don't know about? The share button was the only way I could figure out to do it, and when I was done I disabled it again. Anway I'll turn it back on for now so they'll show up (hopefully) but if anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate the help.

EDIT: I guess I also had to turn on external links? Does it work now?

External links was the thing, easy sharing is just the button (without it you can use right-click (assuming you don't have that protected) and copy image location).
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    the surreal effect that you can get with a lensbaby works well with a cemetary theme. nicely done!
    //Leah
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I really like #3 and #7, the lensbaby gives it a motion effect. I have the Composer, but don't use as much as I should.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Nice shots to try this tool out on. thumb.gif I agree with your two choices.
    Lensbaby composer, hmmm... Love to test drive it. And soon!
    Michael
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I've seen very few shots from a lensbaby so this was a good chance to see the effect. I can see where it can be overdone, like HDR, but I agree the cemetery seems a good choice for selective focus work. Nice series!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 2, 2009
    Lensbaby is a great toy and can give really interesting results. I like all photos, but #7 stands out for me. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Wow, these are very interesting. I have looked at these a couple of times. They make me very dizzy; as if I am on a merry go round or something. I can't look at them very long...but I love them! :D My brain is saying it is a still photograph but my eyes say I'm in motion.