Options

#21 - Nothing is Sacred

DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you guys think? I don't know if it's engaging or dynamic enough.
bookcover1.jpg
Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
EF-S 18-55mm
EF 75-300mm

Comments

• Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not sure how well the title fits the picture. Obviously, everything is going down the toilet works as a phrase in conversation. I'm not so sure that the idea works here. My own personal thought would be to take a picture of that apathy in action.

If you don't want to go and find apathy, then taking a picture of the toilet flushing (with objects related to the religions) may be a more interesting composition.

Just my 0.02, so take it with a grain of salt :D

Karl

p.s. The human eye has negative reactions to too much green/greenish tone in compositions. Not sure how much that is/isn't affecting my thoughts.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I think I get what you are going for, but honestly I wouldn't touch the book if I saw it in a store. Pictures of toilets, for whatever the reason, are just... yucky, to me. sorry....
  • Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Interesting idea but don't see the link with the title... Maybe try another angle and vary the dof to give it more mystery ?
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks guys, you're awesome. :D I agree, it's totally disgusting, but that was my idea. Sort of a 'shock value'. I can tone down the green, though, I agree with that. I'll try a different angle, too.

I actually had a better idea, but didn't think I could pull it off. An image of a cross was the only symbol I could think that would be obvious enough to represent culture and caring - discarded. headscratch.gif

I'll try my other idea and post it up later today.
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Okay, here's my different idea. Worth anything? headscratch.gif Crits would be much appreciated. I toned down the green.

bookcover2.jpg
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    The most interesting part of the picture is what appears in the water. A tighter crop on this area might work better ?

If I found such a book I'd sure have my attracted but I wonder whether I'd actually buy it or not.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Nice call on the crop, I was thinking sort of the same thing. I didn't want to cut out the Buddha stature or too much of the bottom, and didn't want it too thin, either. Otherwise I would have cropped even tighter.

Probably too disgusting to have a chance at winning but I'll throw it in there anyway. :D
    bookcover3.jpg
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm