#21 opinions, critiques, comments

TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've finally found a shot that might be used for a bookcover :

503355048_BLPn8-M.jpg

What do you think of it ? I'm doubtful about the title and whether adding it directly on the picture or not. Actually I'm not sure at all about the title as usual :D
Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/

Comments

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    i like it - i think it looks great.

the only thing that i would nitpick about (and which isn't at all related to the shot) is that the capitalization isn't standard throughout the title... i would suggest that you either capitalize all the words, none of them, or just the first. mixing it up makes people like me get all nervous :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I love it! great picture... looks haunted to me. The name tells me that it is going to tell me about some good Houses to go to. I like it, but if you aren't happy with it, you could say, Ghost Hunting in the______(area you are from), or Haunted Houses of the __________(area).
    I really like the font also. For me it gives the wispy kind of mist feel that a ghost book should. I do think that like Kinkajou said, you should capitalize all the letters or none. It doesn't bother me, but I do think it would look better that way. personally I would capitalize them because with that font they are going to be nice looking.
  • DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I wish it were larger, that's all. :D I love the shot, though, nice exposure. Can't think of anything to critique.
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Gorgeous shot. I love the glowing fonts you are using for the title as well.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Gorgeous shot. I love the glowing fonts you are using for the title as well.

15524779-Ti.gif

Clean up the capitals and it's a keeper. Fabu shot! thumb.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Nice shot! Your picture really tells a story, and it's a great book concept. I like the font a lot too. I agree with the initial caps on the important words ("to" being the exception - Laughing.gif). My only suggestion is to make "Haunted Houses" equal in size or bigger than "ghosthunter's guide."

I'd read it - in fact, in college I did some EVP work with a real ghost hunter. Got some pretty spooky stuff a couple times!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Thanks a lot for looking and commenting.

Here is another title version with the capitals and the "haunted houses" now being the main words. Works better like this indeed :

503891381_kmAEg-L.jpg

(and it is larger too ^^)

More appealing like this ?

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    thumb.gif Great shot, I like your perspective, and the dramatic sky really gives it the feel you are going for.
    I'm not 100% sold on the title, (probably just me) but I haven't been able to come up with any suggestions, but I'm still thinking about that!
    It's still really good one way or the other!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    It's an very dramatic shot. The larger version is better but it looks like you may be having some keystoning due to the camera position. The building looks like its tilting backwards somewhat.
    edited April 2, 2009
    The new title looks great! The only thing I saw right off was that "Guide" is a little darker (transparent?) than the rest of the title, and my eye kept going back to it. Can it be brought up to match the rest of the title?

Otherwise it's perfect I think. And I don't mind the keystoning at all, since the skewed perspective of the wide shot lends the image a kind of ominous or eerie feeling. Makes me want to put on my Ghost Busters suit! mwink.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Makes me want to put on my Ghost Busters suit! mwink.gif
    "Who you gonna CALL?" rolleyes1.gifsmile6
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Thanks very much for looking and commenting !

The "guide" is indeed a bit dark beacause of the transparency and the overlay mode. I've fixed it on this version which should be the last :

504107379_aBYFk-L.jpg

Glad it makes you want to visit some haunted places ^^

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Much Better! It is very easy to read now. I can't imagine anything else to do.
    edited April 2, 2009
    That's the one! Now where can I pick up a copy? :D