Wedding - 1st contact questions

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in Weddings
Scott provided an awesome post that is a sticky at the beginning of this forum. I do have some additional questions.....

As part of the preparation, what questions do you ask at first contact? For example, I just had a person approach me saying that she recommended me to her friend to be their wedding photographer and asked if I would interested. The only information that was provided beyond that was the date and that the wedding "won't be very large (or very small). " A list of initial questions would be great to help us identify if it is a function that we feel confident in photographing or if we are better referring to someone else (or deferring altogether :wink ). First thoughts are things like:

- Size - large/small is relative - any idea on how many people? How many expected in the wedding party?
- Location - church, outdoors, backyard? Reception location?
- Engagement photos beforehand? Preferable as a way to getting the couple and me comfortable with each other.
- Is the event formal or informal?

What else would be good to know up front for decisioning? Thanks!

Travis

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Scott provided an awesome post that is a sticky at the beginning of this forum. I do have some additional questions.....

As part of the preparation, what questions do you ask at first contact? For example, I just had a person approach me saying that she recommended me to her friend to be their wedding photographer and asked if I would interested. The only information that was provided beyond that was the date and that the wedding "won't be very large (or very small). " A list of initial questions would be great to help us identify if it is a function that we feel confident in photographing or if we are better referring to someone else (or deferring altogether mwink.gif ). First thoughts are things like:

- Size - large/small is relative - any idea on how many people? How many expected in the wedding party?
    - Location - church, outdoors, backyard? Reception location?
    - Engagement photos beforehand? Preferable as a way to getting the couple and me comfortable with each other.
    - Is the event formal or informal?

What else would be good to know up front for decisioning? Thanks!

Travis

What types of products?

Album?
    Prints?
    Digital Files?

What do they want delivered after the event.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Great input Jeff. I've added it to my list.... mwink.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    some question I would ask:

1) how long from start to finish? gap between wedding and reception?
    2) is there a coordinator?
    3) will there be scheduled time for bridal party/groomsmens shots? or just "photojournalistic"
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks Qarik and the list keeps building. :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    There are a number of criteria I use to judge whether I'll take a contract:
    • I talk to them. Face to face if possible, on the phone if not. Do I connect? Do they have a sense of humor that works with mine? Are they fun? What are the chances that they will turn out to be problem children? If you don't listen to your inner voice when it warns you .... well I have been (once) threatened with a civil (small claims court) action. I, of course, advised them to go ahead and have fun with that one as I had delivered 110% (literally) on all terms of the contract. The point is, if you don't or can't make a connection with the B&G, they won't trust you to deliver quality. If they don't trust you it will show in the photos.
    • How do they feel about photographs? Is it an after-thought or are they serious about it. If the photography is the last thing on the list to contract, it's quite likely that it will be under-budgeted, both in terms of $$$ and time. Time? Yup - in such an instance, the B&G will be a lot more interested in the reception than in getting decent (or better) photographs and will not give you enough time to get the job done right. On the other hand, I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow. They contracted (actually signed) with me exactly 1 year before the wedding. They are budgeting more than an hour for before the ceremony photographs with the bride and more than 30 minutes with the groom. They have agreed to being removed from the reception for 30 minutes (or more) for some intimate/fun B&G photos, away from the crowd of the guests.
    • What type of photography do they want? Do they want traditional work, with all the posed shots that implies? Do they want more of a PJ style? How does what they want match up with what you can or want to deliver?
    • Required deliverables - are you a shoot, burn, and run photographer or are you an album photographer? How does your schedule of deliverables match up with what the B&G want?
    • Size of the event really doesn't matter much to me. Easily 90% of your focus during the day is on the B&G. Two people are two people - doesn't change much.
    • Location is (can be) an issue. Can you deliver a quality product from that venue with the equipment you have (or know how to use and can rent)? If not, I would take a pass.
    As you can see from the above, I believe it's more about the people and being able meeting their expectations (and meeting one's own professional standards of quality) than anything else.
    edited April 2, 2009
    There's the man with all the answers. thumb.gif Seriously Scott, I appreciate the insight and I think that you should defiitely add this to your sticky on wedding photography lessons!

The couple in this case are some friends from my high school days and the wedding is to be a small, fairly informal affair. From previous experience, though, I know that even those can pose serious issues if you are not careful. So all of this is definitely going to help in my decision process. The wedding isn't until November. They are taking capturing the memories of the day seriously and knowing them, I'm confident that they will be more than willing to put in the time for the quality images (and that will also be stipulated in the contract!) All of the information that y'all provided is great for ensuring that all of the bases are covered.