Options

A few ghosted closeups

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited June 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
I was shooting some closeup test shots to test out stacking for macros. I found that by shooting on a thick mirror at a low angle, I can get the subject to ghost between the glass and reflective surface. Then someone mentioned using coins with the same process. Here are a couple that kinda turned out. It's very hard to spin a coin on glass and have it go where you want and take the shot at the best possible time.

A new nickel
43997262.jpg

It makes cents
43997265.jpg
It's a little OOF. I still need to go through the rest of my shots and see what else is there.
There are two better examples here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=12536

Hope you enjoy them,
Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Chris, that's an interesting process, I might have to try that out some time. thumb.gif Thanks for sharing, and welcome to dgrin! clap.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    One more thing I forgot
    Hi AJ,
    Thanks for the welcome; it's so warm herebeer.gif.
    For the screw shots, the primary light source was from about 10 0'clock, low on the horizon. The coins were with a flash at 7 o'clock. Looks like the lighting makes a big difference.

Chris

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    looks good
    that someone was me!

glad you gave it a try-what shutter speed?
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    exif data for coins
    Hi Greg,
    Here is the exif data for the coins.

Camera Make: SONY
    Camera Model: DSC-V3
    Image Date: 2005:05:28 21:17:44
    Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
    Focal Length: 16.5mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
    Aperture: f/7.1
    ISO equiv: 100
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual

I had two desk lamps for fill, but the shot is all flash. It was quite the task to do. I had my nephew doing the spinning whilst I waited for the coin to reach it's mark. I'll try it again with different lighting to see if I can enhance the effect.

Thanks for the suggestion Greg,
    Chris

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    diffusion
    thanks for info-you might like to try diffusion of the lamps and flash by bouncing off some white card etc
    Hi Greg,
    Here is the exif data for the coins.

Camera Make: SONY
    Camera Model: DSC-V3
    Image Date: 2005:05:28 21:17:44
    Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
    Focal Length: 16.5mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
    Aperture: f/7.1
    ISO equiv: 100
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual

I had two desk lamps for fill, but the shot is all flash. It was quite the task to do. I had my nephew doing the spinning whilst I waited for the coin to reach it's mark. I'll try it again with different lighting to see if I can enhance the effect.

Thanks for the suggestion Greg,
    Chris
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Used a light tent
    gtc wrote:
    thanks for info-you might like to try diffusion of the lamps and flash by bouncing off some white card etc
    Thanks for the recommendation. I did shoot this inside a home made light tent with the back open (to get the black background). The flash was either bounced off the top or one of the sides. The nickel was brand new so it was VERY shiny. I still have a ways to go before I think they are ready for prime time. The feedback is helpfull for the next round of experiments.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    some more hints
    For this shot I wanted the movement and the bit I didn't like was the double reflection (go figure).

For this shot I put the mirror on my cooker hob and the extract has halogen lights built in which I used for lighting - no flash was used.
    1/60s ISO200

32204015.jpg
    I was shooting some closeup test shots to test out stacking for macros. I found that by shooting on a thick mirror at a low angle, I can get the subject to ghost between the glass and reflective surface. Then someone mentioned using coins with the same process. Here are a couple that kinda turned out. It's very hard to spin a coin on glass and have it go where you want and take the shot at the best possible time.
    Chris
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2005
    Hi Adrian,
    Cool shot. I'm really suprised the coin face came out so clear without a flash. I've been toying with the idea of what you have here for some time. I was thinking on using a flash (subdued to freeze movement) with a longer exposure to capture movement. An idea just came to me right this very moment. I bought a strobe light to play with and this might make an interesting shot. Gotta try these.
    I also agree that the double image is too distracting for a movement shot. Too many elements.

Thanks for your input Adrian,
    Chris

• Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Very well done Chris. Both have great aspects about them and very interesting thing to try.

All the best Chris, nice seeing you here BTW thumb.gif

Danny.