Talk to me about Vista Color Management

CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited April 9, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I need to buy a new computer. I've been a PC user since Windows 3.1. If not for the fact that a MacPro, similarly configured to a PC quad core, commanded a price difference of $700-$1000, I would buy the apple. But I have a hard time justifying the price difference. I'm very familar with the macs, my kids and my Mom all have them, they are a delight, but like I said, I'm having a real hard time justifying the price differential.

With that said, I have seen reports of users having issues with the Vista Color management; they calibrate their monitor and the system keeps going back to the default when woken up from a sleep state. Not sure if this is something that has been corrected with service patches. I tried doing a search on these boards and found very little discussion in this regard. Are people having problems with this? If you respond, it would be helpful if you were to state the Vista version, Home, Business, Ultimate, the PC vendor and which graphic card you are using.

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I have the Vista Home version and yes, when a device is plugged in or when a program starts up, the colors will often go back to the default setting.

Very annoying and as far as I know, there is no correction/patch for this problem yet.

I use a Huey Pantone and that allows you to open a small window to reset it, so when the colors change, I just go back to the desk to pand click on the already open window to reset it.
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    I have the Vista Home version and yes, when a device is plugged in or when a program starts up, the colors will often go back to the default setting.

Very annoying and as far as I know, there is no correction/patch for this problem yet.

I use a Huey Pantone and that allows you to open a small window to reset it, so when the colors change, I just go back to the desk to pand click on the already open window to reset it.

Thanks for the reply. What PC and video card are you using?
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    I'm using a Toshiba Satellite from bestbuy and what ever video card it came with, not sure.
  • Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Howdy.

I've been running Vista Home Premium for about a year. No color management issues so far.

Gateway GM 5474
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Duel Core 6000+ 3.0 GHZ
    4 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT video card.
    LG Flatiron Wide 19" monitor.
    Epson Stylus 1400 Photo printer

Back to color management. I haven't done any. (Other than make sure everything is in the right color space.) I'm running everything right out of the box. I'm not much of a tech head, so if it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

What I see in PS or LR or Bridge looks like what I see on the web. And when I print, the print looks like what I see on my screen. I know it's not supposed to be that easy. Just lucky, I guess. (Of course, by some high technical standard, I may be all out of whack.)

I run Lr, PS, and Bridge side by side, and it handles it all fine.

That's not to say I haven't had a few scuffles with Vista. Just nothing to do with color management. And nothing worth paying $1000 more to get rid of and maybe just to end up with a different set of issues.

For the record, I'm not necessarily pro PC. I just couldn't afford a Mac.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com