nikon folks..what lens would you get next?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in Cameras
okay I have the d90. I intend to get the D700 in the future and keep the d90 as a backup..keep that in mind.

I currently have:

18-200mm VR
85mm 1.4
sigma 105mm macro
and in the next few weeks will have the sigma 24-70mm HSM or the nikkor 24-70mm AF-S

I don't have any strong urge to shoot sports or wildlife or landscape or architecture. I do mostly macro and/or people stuff.

I have 2 lens in mind for my next purchase in maybe over 1 year..the nikkor 14-24mm or the nikkor 70-200mm VR. I only want FF compatible and pro lens now. The both review superbly and are about the same price. WWYD?
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    The Nikkor 14-24mm is an awsome lens. Others that I would consider would be the Nikkor 35mm F2.0, 50mm F1.2, 135mm F2.0 and maybe the 17-35mm F2.8
    Steve

Website
  • dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Well they're both supposed to be fantastic lenses so I think it really comes down to which focal lengths are going to most useful for you.

If you use the 18-200 a lot perhaps you could look at the pictures you shoot with it and see what focal lengths you tend to use.

Just to throw something else in there, if you find that you only shoot around 24-100, which you'll have covered, perhaps the money would be better spent on lighting equipment, depending on the type of people shots you want to make. ne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited April 2, 2009
    Qarik wrote:

I don't have any strong urge to shoot sports or wildlife or landscape or architecture. I do mostly macro and/or people stuff.

I have 2 lens in mind for my next purchase in maybe over 1 year..the nikkor 14-24mm or the nikkor 70-200mm VR. I only want FF compatible and pro lens now. The both review superbly and are about the same price. WWYD?

If you really don't want or need to shoot wide landscapes then the Nikkor 70-200mm, f2.8 G-AF-S ED-IF VR is probably the best lens to mesh with the lenses you already have and the 24-70mm you intend to get.

Ultimately, the Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED AF-S would still be nice for some interior work and architectural photography.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I have the D90 and love it.
    Since it's a DX camera (and I lack $1800) I went with the Tokina 11-16mm.
    At $1200 less than the Nikkor 14-24mm I think it was a good choice for me. I love the lens but as yet have not shot much with it. My only complaint is that it does not come with a lens case.

Edit-
    Just realized that the D700 was full frame. Oh well, the Tokina won't work then.
    A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Tough decision. Keep in mind that you will ultimately wind up owning the Nikon holy trinity of zooms. It is just a matter of time, and your resistance is futile.

The wide zoom is in a class by itself. Many Canon shooters use adaptors just so they can mount this lens on their Canon bodies. If you want to shoot landscapes with your future D700, this is your choice.

The Nikon 24-70mm is my favorite lens. Easily used 90% of my shooting. My go-to lens when I need to know my photos will come out sharp and contrasty.

The 70-200mm is much revered by many Nikonians as a great performer and a good choice for portraits. My copy is soft and has never been a great performer.headscratch.gif There are reports that it does not play well on full frame bodies with some issues with vignetting. Rumor has it that Nikon is planning a remake of this lens in the near future. I would wait on purchasing this lens unless you got a great deal on a sharp, lightly used copy.

My bigger question is this nonsense of you buying a D700 and using your D90 as a backup. This makes no sense given that they are so completely different. If you define backup as a body to have lying around collecting dust while you wait to see if your D700 breaks, then the D90 is as good a choice as any. Probably your only true backup for a D700 is another d700. You won't touch your D90 after your get your hands on a D700.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Tough decision. Keep in mind that you will ultimately wind up owning the Nikon holy trinity of zooms. It is just a matter of time, and your resistance is futile.

So, so so so true. Although I put it off with the Sigma 12-24mm for now, I know the TRUE trinity will be fulfilled in my future.... as it will with us all.
    //Leah
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    My bigger question is this nonsense of you buying a D700 and using your D90 as a backup. This makes no sense given that they are so completely different. If you define backup as a body to have lying around collecting dust while you wait to see if your D700 breaks, then the D90 is as good a choice as any. Probably your only true backup for a D700 is another d700. You won't touch your D90 after your get your hands on a D700.

Do you think I am made out of money? Though I just landed this gig:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=126149

Which is going to help. Kinda odd gig but my 2 favorite thing to do in this world..play golf and take pictures...synchronicity.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Do you think I am made out of money?

I don't think you are made of money. I'm trying to get you to avoid wasting your money buying lenses you will ultimately try to sell at a loss when you eventually realize that you want to purchase the Nikon zoom trinity.:D

It's just like the longwinded story about how people buy tripods. They start out saying they just need a cheap tripod and in the end they have spent thousands on suboptimal gear before they wake up and spend the money on a quality tripod (like Gitzo).

Don't buy your sigma 24-70mm. You will still want the Nikkor 24-70mm.

Right now your only lens worth anything on a D700 is your 85mm. Buy quality glass now, and you will have it for a long time on whatever body you go with.