Shoulders and male poses

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited April 3, 2009 in People
Somebody remind me -what's that "rule" about low shoulder and masculine/feminine poses? Point me to another thread or article elsewhere if appropriate.

My "actor" shoot is coming up this weekend, and it suddenly occurred to me I've shot ZERO men to date except my husband (who is an atypical case because of a problem eye on one side, thus posing is built entirely around that). Need to get my ducks in a row before Saturday!!! :huh

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    About a year ago I read through the "posing in portraiture by Benji" link that is stickied to the people forum.. It is a pretty good read. Anyway, this is what he says about it:
    11. Proper Head Tilt- Never tip a man’s head to the high (feminine) shoulder as he will look feminine. Women's heads can be tipped toward either shoulder, but the feminine shoulder is more appealing.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Generally for ladies the front shoulder is higher than the back shoulder. Have the lady cross her legs and put most of her weight on the back cheek. This gets the front shoulder higher. Bring the light in from behind her front shoulder and tip the head toward the high shoulder.(GENERALLY)

For the guys it helps to put his front foot up on a small stool and have the same side arm rest his elbow on the leg that is up. This lowers his shoulder into the camera and is more masculine. Again the light can come in and hit his chest. Hope this helps. These are general rules. Everything is broken eventually.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    That's the info - thanks!!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Somebody remind me -what's that "rule" about low shoulder and masculine/feminine poses? Point me to another thread or article elsewhere if appropriate.

My "actor" shoot is coming up this weekend, and it suddenly occurred to me I've shot ZERO men to date except my husband (who is an atypical case because of a problem eye on one side, thus posing is built entirely around that). Need to get my ducks in a row before Saturday!!! eek7.gif

Thanks in advance....

While I dont recommend my female models to bring their SOs/BFs, it is considered a good practice to ask a male model to bring his SO/GF to the shoot. She woould know him better and will be able to get him where you want him quickly (even if you don't know where:-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Thanks Nik. Won't work on this shoot (too many factors out of my control to suggest it), but I'll remember it for the future! thumb.gif