Rumor: Canon prices going up May 1

cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited May 16, 2009 in Cameras
That's the word from a trusted retail store owner here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I know this flies in the face of the supposed increases in January that never transpired (but convinced me to buy my 5DII earlier than I wanted), but I think there's something to this rumor... I trust this guy.

He told me his cost on the 5DII is going up $250.

ps: This same retailer is selling LP-E6 batteries (5DII batteries) for $90 Canadian and has them in stock!!! Picked up one for myself today. His store is Robinson's Camera in Calgary. Battery came in $25-$35 lower than any other retailer in the city, and no one had stock except for him. :clap
CW
(shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L

Comments

• JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Lenses too?:confused
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I honestly don't know if this is related to the price increase, but when did the nifty-fifty go up in price?

I was checking the price on it because I was thinking about selling it and picking up a 50mm f/1.4 len.

as of 4/3/09
    Amazon:
    504757427_ReASY-M.jpg

And B&H is roughly the same price.
    504760355_x7Qxy-M.jpg

This puzzled me because I always remember the price of the lens when I bought two years ago, it was around the $70 mark at most vendors. ♦

I did some checking, and I remembered correctly!
    504757425_btvjk-M.jpg

And I know I didn't buy it on "sale".... When did the price change?
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    I honestly don't know if this is related to the price increase, but when did the nifty-fifty go up in price?

I was checking the price on it because I was thinking about selling it and picking up a 50mm f/1.4 len.

as of 4/3/09
    Amazon:
    504757427_ReASY-M.jpg

And B&H is roughly the same price.
    504760355_x7Qxy-M.jpg

This puzzled me because I always remember the price of the lens when I bought two years ago, it was around the $70 mark at most vendors. ♦

I did some checking, and I remembered correctly!
    504757425_btvjk-M.jpg

And I know I didn't buy it on "sale".... When did the price change?

I bought my nifty fifty about a year ago and those are about the prices I found then... so it was at least a year + a day! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    i bought at B&H a Canon 16mm-35 mII last year for $1350 and now it is $1450.

Bad Canon, Bad Dog! Sit, Stay, Roll over...
    Aaron Nelson
  • mike1.6mike1.6 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2009
    When you're good, you're good.
    i bought at B&H a Canon 16mm-35 mII last year for $1350 and now it is $1450.

Bad Canon, Bad Dog! Sit, Stay, Roll over...

Canon must be supremely confident that they are selling something nobody else is. To raise prices in such sluggish economy would seem like a bad move to me. It will be interesting to see if prices do go up. I'm not in the market for anything new right now and I'd like to see how the buyers respond.

Mike
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited April 4, 2009
    mike1.6 wrote:
    Canon must be supremely confident that they are selling something nobody else is. To raise prices in such sluggish economy would seem like a bad move to me. It will be interesting to see if prices do go up. I'm not in the market for anything new right now and I'd like to see how the buyers respond.

Mike

It is likely that this is not a price increase as much as an equalization due to a weak US dollar. Canon has been losing margin on US sales compared to a year ago.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    It is likely that this is not a price increase as much as an equalization due to a weak US dollar. Canon has been losing margin on US sales compared to a year ago.

....and....inflation.

Prices go up in relation to production and shipping costs. $100 for an item that cost $90 three years ago might actually be less in real terms.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2009
    Prices for camera equipment have generally been very low in the US compared to Europe. A 50 mm is about 95 euro here in The Netherlands ( 128 dollar) and a 5d mark II is 2400 euro (3250 dollar).

hope not for you guys, but it would only seem logical given the weak dollar. headscratch.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Sigma prices went up in Europe as well ... a 70mm/2.8 Macro used to be 370€ now its close to 470€. I really wonder what they expect from this considering the current financial situation. I for one am not buying right now.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • AzzureAzzure Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 7, 2009
    Yes everything went up.
    I started photography one and a half years ago.
    I never saw anything coming down. Except for bodies.
    And yes even 50mm, i BOUGHT IT AT 75US new and shipped.
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    It's confirmed - I'm not out to lunch.

Prices have gone up on most Canon lenses by 10% here in Calgary (the only Canadian province with no sales tax). A Canon 24-105 F4 IS L that was $1,249 last week is now $1,391.

ne_nau.gif
    CW

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    The nifty fifty is now over a hundred dollars on Amazon. ne_nau.gif
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• stevodstevod Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    cdub wrote:
    the supposed increases in January that never transpired

Well they certainly happened here in the UK. Unless that was just due to the collapse of the pound! It would be a shame if everything here went up again.....

S
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    There is an interesting article on lens shortages and price increases, worth a read: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.04.24/state-of-the-slr-industry-2009
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    There is an interesting article on lens shortages and price increases, worth a read: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.04.24/state-of-the-slr-industry-2009
    Really interesting read! Thanks for posting... I don't think I'm going to buy anything for while....
    amg2833 wrote:
    The nifty fifty is now over a hundred dollars on Amazon. ne_nau.gif
    Really????

OMG! It is! Holy Cow -- almost a $20 jump just within the month!

5/12/09 on amazon
    535100296_c3hHT-M.jpg

4/3/09 at Amazon:
    504757427_ReASY-M.jpg

4/3/9 B&H is roughly the same price.
    504760355_x7Qxy-M.jpg

in 2007 at amazon
    504757425_btvjk-M.jpg
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Could always jump ship to Olylol3.gif
    They have dropped their prices in recent months...
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Could always jump ship to Olylol3.gif
    They have dropped their prices in recent months...

There's a price:quality ratio in there somewhere.
    CW

• FlyFisher70FlyFisher70 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Yes the prices went up. I was have been saving for the canon 70-200 2.8L IS and it used to be $1699, I was waiting for the rebates to come out, and now that the rebates are here the price is $1799 headscratch.gif I just bit the bullet and bought the lens for $1599 with the rebate. The lens should be in my hands by May 19th and I'm really looking forward to shooting with it.
  • mikesjunkmikesjunk Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2009
    Yes the prices went up. I was have been saving for the canon 70-200 2.8L IS and it used to be $1699, I was waiting for the rebates to come out, and now that the rebates are here the price is $1799 headscratch.gif I just bit the bullet and bought the lens for $1599 with the rebate. The lens should be in my hands by May 19th and I'm really looking forward to shooting with it.

Yes I also noticed the increase. As I've also been drooling over a 70-200 2.8. Back in January the local favorite online camera store had these for $1599 then subtract the $125 rebate at that time and you could of been at $1474. When the $200 rebate came out I thought time to buy as it will be $1399.....but not the case as the local favorite had the prices at $1699 so after rebate it was $1499. And as you now see it's at $1799 with the $200 rebate. This was certainly a reverse rebate. headscratch.gif