onion still

kscottkscott Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I have been doing a series of still life photographs on vegetables and thought i'd post this as my first post in Dgrin any c & c appreciated

502943503_eJHLh-L.jpg

kscott

Comments

• rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin!

I'd say it's a good first post!

I'm a big fan of everyday objects, and I'd say you did a good job with this one.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Makes me want to cry rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    For me if I had a light box, I would take it in low light and let only some of the onions show, It would make for an interesting shot for sure.

But not a a bad shot though.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 3, 2009
    Mmmm...onions. 10944573-Ti.gif I like the tone and color. Good detail. Well done. thumb.gif
  • kscottkscott Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Mmmm...onions. 10944573-Ti.gif I like the tone and color. Good detail. Well done. thumb.gif

Thank you all for the kind words. I had been doing some re-creations of a Louisville artist by the name of Mary Ann Currier, who is famous for her oils and oil pastel renderings of fruits and vegetables. This was the winner of all the efforts although with some more practice i could probably get a couple more closer to what they need to be to become a great image. The only problem I have is my wife has been protesting the smell of onions everywhere in the basement.
    kscott
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I like this shot. Maybe a little more light difussion might help in softening the glare spot on the onion skin. Certainly, some glare is fine and onion skin, being quite reflective, is going to accentuate what glare is there. Overall, I think your efforts here are very commendable.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Quite nice. Looks like they are having a meeting or something. Welcome to DGrin!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I really like the tones and color. Something about how the two onions on the right are positioned bothers me. Not sure what.

Have you tried shooting just one onion, same comp, but just one? I wonder if having all the negative space would look dramatic.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited April 3, 2009
    I really like the tones and color. Something about how the two onions on the right are positioned bothers me. Not sure what.

Have you tried shooting just one onion, same comp, but just one? I wonder if having all the negative space would look dramatic.

I have a couple of one onion shots, and a two onion shot or two. My favorite though is the first one on this thread.

504766873_CFhVB-L.jpg

502943491_p4H8n-L.jpg

502943512_MtB5J-L.jpg
    kscott
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    Those images stink! They sure a good, though. :D
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Makes me want to cry rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif ... Good shot
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    I kind of like the two onion shot. BTW, glad to know I'm not the only "dork" taking pictures of random things. Dork is what my wife calls me when she catches me taking pics of eggs or apples and such.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    I think this is absolutely masterful. I would never think of photographing onions headscratch.gif I really love the sharpness , colors, and composition. Well done thumb.gifthumb and welcome to dgrin

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited April 6, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I think this is absolutely masterful. I would never think of photographing onions headscratch.gif I really love the sharpness , colors, and composition. Well done thumb.gifthumb and welcome to dgrin

Thanks Jack'll although i have auto focus I find on shooting onions its better to manual focus before you start crying..:D..... and i'm one of those kinda dudes that drags all kinds of stuff from the refrigerator, shelves, and drawers and sets it up on the table in front of the lens just to see if anything will happen.
    kscott