Options

DSS 21 - refined attempt

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited April 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's my most recent attempt... any comments & suggestions would be appreciated! :D

504475583_bV42j-X2.jpg
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Here's my most recent attempt... any comments & suggestions would be appreciated! :D

504475583_bV42j-X2.jpg

Oooh, I like it! Great title and subtitle.

The design is good as is, but I might try a couple things just for fun: First, maybe lose the transparency - make the title solid white over the image. You don't gain anything by letting the image come through, it just makes the title weaker. If you're going for an "eroded" effect, maybe try fading gradually (start out solid and fade more from left to right?). Also you might try adding noise or grain effects and see how that looks...just a thought. Progressing from solid letters to gradually more eroded might imply eroding action...???

Like I said, it's really good as is. I'm just a design nerd and enjoy playing around with type design (for better or worse). rolleyes1.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    Oooh, I like it! Great title and subtitle.

The design is good as is, but I might try a couple things just for fun: First, maybe lose the transparency - make the title solid white over the image. You don't gain anything by letting the image come through, it just makes the title weaker. If you're going for an "eroded" effect, maybe try fading gradually (start out solid and fade more from left to right?). Also you might try adding noise or grain effects and see how that looks...just a thought. Progressing from solid letters to gradually more eroded might imply eroding action...???

Like I said, it's really good as is. I'm just a design nerd and enjoy playing around with type design (for better or worse). rolleyes1.gif

There's nothing bad about being a design nerd & focusing on typography! Even though I'm really just starting out in graphic design, typography is one of my stronger suits (I can illustrate to save my life at the moment!! :cry )

Normally I would have preferred to erode the typeface on my own, manually, but I spent so much time masking and layering to get the image the way I wanted, I ran out of time for the typography and had to pick a free font that "worked." Hopefully this weekend I'll get some free time (fingers crossed) and can play with the type.

Thank you for your thoughts, Benjer! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2009
    It might just be my monitor but the image looks quite dim, I would bump up the brightness, especially since it looks like such a bright day in the photo. I checked and the version you posted in your other thread looks brighter.

I would lose the erosion effect on the letters, too. Maybe just me but it feels kind of cheesy. Sorry. headscratch.gif

I nitpick because it's a great image and design overall, though! thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    Drin wrote:
    It might just be my monitor but the image looks quite dim, I would bump up the brightness, especially since it looks like such a bright day in the photo. I checked and the version you posted in your other thread looks brighter.

I would lose the erosion effect on the letters, too. Maybe just me but it feels kind of cheesy. Sorry. headscratch.gif

I nitpick because it's a great image and design overall, though! thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments, Drin!

I can see the cheesy-ness of the font... The more I look at it, the more I realize that I should have taken more time on that rather than relying on a found font to do the work for me...

As for the dim-ness, I'm quite stumped... on this monitor it does look a little dim but it didn't look that bad last night when I was processing it... perhaps it was too late and my eyes were burnt out... I'll see if I can get that magic light back... thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos